U-POL Tintable Raptor Lining Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did mine over the summer and have wheeled a bunch with it and so far so good. I didn't do hardly any prep besides masking off, and it has stuck pretty well. I've scraped it against rocks, and while it does scratch, it didn't come off. It bent a panel too, and no cracks or anything.

My only recommendation when applying it is to err on the side of applying too little rather then too much. I tried going heavy with on the first couple panels, and it started getting ripples in it from the air blowing on it. The rest of the truck I did a much lighter coating and it did a much much smoother and consistent job of it. I did my whole cab (88 extracab Truck) with 3 bottles worth of it.

Here are pictures....

Just after I sprayed it...it darkened in color as it cured...
Truck-Painted-2.jpg

After a couple of months of abuse...
image.php

After reading this thread, I'm convinced. I'm going to coat the entire belly, firewall and exterior of my new 60 body with Raptor Liner. White for the exterior and black for the bottom / firewall.

Haku, your mini looks awesome. How durable is the Raptor liner after beating on it for a couple of months? Has the color faded at all?

Having never done this before, for prep, does one just sand down the panels to be coated, prime the bare metal and go to town with the spray? Do you use an etching primer or anything?

After reading this thread, I'm convinced. I'm going to coat the entire belly, firewall and exterior of my new 60 body with Raptor Liner. White for the exterior and black for the bottom / firewall.

Haku, your mini looks awesome. How durable is the Raptor liner after beating on it for a couple of months? Has the color faded at all?

Having never done this before, for prep, does one just sand down the panels to be coated, prime the bare metal and go to town with the spray? Do you use an etching primer or anything?

Took the dive a couple of weeks ago. Removed all dirt and grease with xylene, then sanded every panel to make everything rough. Wiped everything down again with xylene again and then sprayed. I'm LOVING the finish. Took 3 bottles to do the bottom and a full 8 to do the white. Tinted with about a little less than a quart of Toyota 033. Hood and fenders got a little rushed and were painted when it was a bit too cold, but other than that, it came out pretty good I think.:grinpimp:

IMG_20111210_162206.jpg

IMG_20111210_191406.jpg

IMG_20111210_191433.jpg

IMG_20111217_203142.jpg

IMG_20111217_214804.jpg

Sorry, didn't see your post till today.

It has been quite durable and the color hasn't faded at all. As I said in my previous post, it kind of came out looking pastel or cornflower blue, but cured much darker and more the color I was looking for. Now that it cured, its doing great and hasn't changed color. I've scrapped it against trees and rocks, and while it did scratch, it didn't come off or even effect it too much. It has also dented in a few places and the liner deformed with the body panel rather then breaking off like you might expect it to. Not bad for doing next to no prep. I literally just masked it off, wiped it down with a wet towel to get the layer of dust off, and sprayed it. No sanding or solvent or any of that stuff. So far so good.

That said, it looks like you did a better job then I did. I do need to do some retouching still in parts where I got carried away and it rippled, but that is my fault and not the Raptor Liners fault.

I would definitely recommend this to people as a great option for a durable bed coat and something to make it a "no worries" offroad vehicle. Best part is its still kind grippy, but its not like the stuff with texture in it where it wants to tear your skin off when you rub against it.

Johnny truck looks great! theres a lot of fruit cakes in those photos thoe. :flipoff2:

I would definitely recommend this to people as a great option for a durable bed coat and something to make it a "no worries" offroad vehicle. Best part is its still kind grippy, but its not like the stuff with texture in it where it wants to tear your skin off when you rub against it.

These are my thoughts exactly. Much smoother finish than other bedliner products like Line-X. I'm loving it thus far:D

Johnny truck looks great! theres a lot of fruit cakes in those photos thoe. :flipoff2:

Thanks Adam! Every day I come out to drive it I'm amazed at how different she looks / feels. Couldn't be happier:bounce:

Thanks Adam! Every day I come out to drive it I'm amazed at how different she looks / feels. Couldn't be happier:bounce:
Any closer pix of the surface texture of your 60's white? I love the pics so far. I want to do my 80 in a liner but DO NOT want the rolled Durabak texture. Been there, done that.

Any closer pix of the surface texture of your 60's white? I love the pics so far. I want to do my 80 in a liner but DO NOT want the rolled Durabak texture. Been there, done that.

Thank you sir:D I could not be happier with both the color and texture. Here are a couple of shots;

IMG_20120107_144603.jpg

IMG_20120107_144609.jpg

Johny, rig looks great. I am doing full resto on my 66 FJ45LV. I am ready to shoot the undercoating and considering the Upol stuff. I have done a ton of rust repair so I never want to see rust again. I will be seam sealing as much as possible and need to then cover all the surfaces with something. I have heard comments that some is too thick, some are too thin, some are too rigid and crack allowing water in bla bla. Can you comment on the Raptor? My rig will most likely never see mud to be honest so I am considering a lighter shade for the underside vs. black. Not sure if that would be stupid or not? Thanks for the help

Johny, rig looks great. I am doing full resto on my 66 FJ45LV. I am ready to shoot the undercoating and considering the Upol stuff. I have done a ton of rust repair so I never want to see rust again. I will be seam sealing as much as possible and need to then cover all the surfaces with something. I have heard comments that some is too thick, some are too thin, some are too rigid and crack allowing water in bla bla. Can you comment on the Raptor? My rig will most likely never see mud to be honest so I am considering a lighter shade for the underside vs. black. Not sure if that would be stupid or not? Thanks for the help

I'll have to go out and check your build! Thanks for the kind words sir:D

I haven't gone out of my way to beat the raptor liner up, but I did manage to smash one door with a 2' breaker bar a couple of weeks ago. It didn't crack, just flexed with the door skin and barely left a scuff.

Mine's only been on for just shy of 2 months, so I can't personally comment on the long-term durability. A couple of other buddies down here have used it for their whole truck, some others just for the lower body line where the flares would go, etc. Even after repeated encounters with trees, etc, there doesn't seem to be any cracking associated with the raptor liner. It doesn't seem to fade either.

My new exhaust is real close to the body with maybe an inch of clearance. The raptor liner does not seem to be phased by the heat that's put out by my exhaust. Doesn't seem to care at all.

As for color, do whatever you feel looks the best. My frame is a flat grey, the underbody is black and the upper is white. I love the contrast. Whatever you do, make it unique!!

In short, I can't give you the best evaluation as I've only had it for 2 months on my own rig. However, based on how it's performed thus far on both my rig and others', I expect the raptor liner to last for many years, fully protecting Moonshine from rust.

Have had it on my 45 now for 5 years and it has held up great.

Infact going to spray it in the wifes truckbed of her 2500. It will not be abused like my one ton but still will work great i feel.

Remember it is all in the prep work as any paint job.

Have had it on my 45 now for 5 years and it has held up great.

Infact going to spray it in the wifes truckbed of her 2500. It will not be abused like my one ton but still will work great i feel.

Remember it is all in the prep work as any paint job.

Anything special about the prep?

Anyone know if this can be put on over surface rust? Will it seal off the base from oxidation? Something along the lines of what POR15 is.

I'm no expert, but I would say NO! May seal off future rust, but you need the rust to be gone and prep with a good epoxy primer. Then UPOL.

I'm not an expert either, but I don't think it has much for solvents or rust conversion in it and would just seal the rust in. I'd either do the rust conversion stuff or some grinding/wire brush to get it all off first.

I also think this stuff would be fine to spray on over something like Rustoleum or POR-15 as long as you prepped it decently afterward. I honestly did next to no prep on mind (no sanding....just masked it off and sprayed the stuff on) and its been holding up great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom