TV Show Wheeler Dealers FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The TV show Wheeler Dealers is no longer on US tv, but from what I've heard is now on Discovery UK. Apparently this year (Season 21) they did an FJ60 and swapped in a 5spd. Has anyone seen the show? I'm having trouble finding it online. Would love to watch it!

The TV show Wheeler Dealers is no longer on US tv, but from what I've heard is now on Discovery UK. Apparently this year (Season 21) they did an FJ60 and swapped in a 5spd. Has anyone seen the show? I'm having trouble finding it online. Would love to watch it!
It airs on Motor Trend in the US.
I think its a $5 subscription for On Demand programming. 14 day free trial.

Thanks for the tip! I'm planning this upgrade and this video is a wonderful primer. :)

They also walk through the front knuckle, driveline, and transfer case rebuilds + bonus emergency brake fix.

Last edited:
MT is included with both my streaming packages. Been following Wheeler Dealers for years and was stoked when I heard they were finally doing an LC. They did a Jeep Wagoneer last season and it turned out sweet. No doubt they will do this one right. I liked the other guy they used to have doing all the work, Edd China, but the new guy does a terrific job with these restos. Seems much more TV friendly and used to be on the For the Love of Cars series. Should be a good show.

I went to buy an FJ60 last year that was advertised on eBay and I ended up on the show. Good people.... they didn't show you how much rust was in the pillars tho. It ran great, but I had to do some small adjustments.

Here is the episode

Here is what I ended up doing to it Land Cruiser FJ60 | CorsettiCruisers.com

Good fun!

If your truck has a build date from May 1985 - 1987. Previous years you need to adjust the drive shafts. You can still buy a new H55 transmission from a Toyota dealership. Part number 33030-60450. Make sure to buy the shaft and 5-speed knob. Hope this helps.

I recognized you when I saw the show. Saw you on that Jay Leno's garage episode with the 60's in it. Sad that Ed China is no longer on wheeler dealers. They used to show a lot more of the work he was doing to the vehicles. He left because of that. They cut a lot of those segments out.

I agree. I asked them about it and they said he had a "different creative vision." Sounds exactly what you said... Oh well.

1981-1984 to early model 85 versions are different and need more work than previous years. The front driveshaft needs to be lengthened and the rear driveshaft needs to be shortened in order to make the 5-speed work. May of 85 and after do not need this modification (I believe)

Here is a link from Cool Cruisers explaining the process. Hope this helps.

Since you are on the subject of 5 speed trans. what kind of pricing are they going for now and availability? @Onur
I saw the show and i agree that they cut out a lot of the technical stuff, i do miss Ed.:frown:
It just hit me after checking the video that this vehicle would never pass CA smog inspection, most of the components and hoses are missing.:rofl:

Last edited:
You're absolutely right it didn't pass smog. It was my first attempt to register it through the California system... Since it was an out of state title, it ended up not being worth it.

The H55 transmissions go for $2,800 at a local Toyota dealership. Some dealers have a "Land Cruiser" discount you can ask about. I know Camelback Toyota in Phoenix does. Spector sells them for $3,900 which is a complete rip off. Rumor has it, they aren't going to be available for long.

Since you are on the subject of 5 speed trans. what kind of pricing are they going for now and availability? @Onur
I saw the show and i agree that they cut out a lot of the technical stuff, i do miss Ed.:frown:
It just hit me after checking the video that this vehicle would never pass CA smog inspection, most of the components and hoses are missing.:rofl:

I've posted this information a million times over the past 14 or so years that I have been doing parts professionally. The only thing that changes is the cost and the MSRP because that's how global supply chains work. If you don't understand global supply chains and the Toyota parts system, then you don't understand how parts procurement works for Toyota.

Anyway, I'll post it again.

24 in stock in the US; 27 in bound from the mother ship to the US. It is class coded B3 which means it's a pretty fast moving part which means that enough people are buying the transmission for Aisin Seiki to continue making them for Toyota.

The H55F is not going anywhere anytime soon regardless of what people say-- @CCruisers Get the real info and stop playing into the mid/dis-information that is fed out there by whomever for whatever reasons. So much bull****.

$3900 is a bit much of a mark-up considering the Toyota MSRP is $3,064.34.

Dealer price below is what your Toyota dealer pays to Toyota to get the part delivered to their parts department. This is the same for every single dealer in the United States. Wholesale price is the suggested price for a good customer-- someone who buys a lot of parts from your parts department. Say, $5000 a month.

For example: Joe Blow Land Cruiser shop spends $20K a month with a given Toyota dealer. That person probably has negotiating power with their supplying dealer to get the price pretty close to a cost +10% basis: dealer makes 10% and Joe Blow Land Cruiser shop can then sell it at whatever price they want.

Cost + 10% is generally about as low as most dealerships will go-- that generally also happens to be employee parts pricing. That is generally below any of the online dealership pricing you might see out there... whatever website you can find out there. Anyone who is selling it for less than that means that they are probably not going to last long as a parts manager. At least I sure as s*** wouldn't hire them if I was a GM.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 23.03.11.png

Last edited:
I did say it was a rumor. I spoke with Toyota directly and was told "If the numbers continue to drop, then the H55 is in danger." Interpret that however you want to. I really hope that never happens. Second, $2,800 is what you should pay for a transmission in today's market. Cruiser Parts will sell them for that price, I'll sell you one for that price. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, then you can get it to $2,800.

Last edited:
It's not like that @Onur has excellent information and is correct with his numbers. We are both sharing information in hopes you get the best deal.

I just watched that episode again and noticed the truck had a cheapo dash cover on. Funny how Mike praises it as a great piece of Japanese craftsmanship.
I wonder how I missed that before....the shifty dash cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom