Turbo you 70 series...things to consider (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Water Cooling is a good idea on gasoline engines however from everything that I have learn talking to the turbo shops say it is a good idea to avoid water cooling whenever possible due to the fact the running your coolant through a turbo exposes it to extreme temperatures which "burn" your antifreeze causing the heat transfer properties of your coolant to be decreased. As long as you let your turbo cool down for a minute before you shut down you should be okay. Just my .02

Diesel Dude said:
Water Cooling is a good idea on gasoline engines however from everything that I have learn talking to the turbo shops say it is a good idea to avoid water cooling whenever possible due to the fact the running your coolant through a turbo exposes it to extreme temperatures which "burn" your antifreeze causing the heat transfer properties of your coolant to be decreased. As long as you let your turbo cool down for a minute before you shut down you should be okay. Just my .02

7 out of 8 turbo companies I called about turboing diesels all went with oil only, told me the reason the water side was designed was for gassers?

Diesel Dude said:
"burn" your antifreeze causing the heat transfer properties of your coolant to be decreased.

Hmmm....you're not going to burn water regardless of what you do to it...and etylene glycol?...not a chemist, but it sounds strange to me. What's happening to your oil if this is the case?

I think the reason some kits don't water-cool is because it's that much more expensive. I just wanted to know if it's necessary or prefered.

I think the reason some kits don't water-cool is because it's that much more expensive. I just wanted to know if it's necessary or prefered.[/QUOTE]

I think that adding water cooling into a turbo would not greatly increase cost, you are adding a water jacket and somes seals.

since the ones on the 13BT/2LT are water cooled then it is probably a good thing. that being said the one on y 1HZ is not and i have no concerns about it. i just make sure that the temp is cool enough before i shut her down...

Most deisels are not watercooled so I wouldnt be too worried wayne cummins doesnt water cool even there big trucks or industrial equipment so you probably wont have a problem with you r 1HZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom