turbo charger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dusty-you need more fuel fed into that thing :hillbilly:

on the highway it runs 1200' ish. At first I was a little worried about these egt temps but after spending some hours on ricer forums I was convinced that such temps are just fine for a gas motor (ie not a diesel). I probably need more fuel but my cheapo a/f ratio gauge says im ok and the motor hasn't exploded.......yet.
I wish some of you turbod fellas would post up some egts so I can see if Im normal--how about you Christo?

Dusty, PM me your smog results :hillbilly:

I was pretty close to being dialed in for air/fuel and had installed a Hallman Pro RX manual boost controller and plumbed in the boost gauge and BEGI fpr properly just before our trip to CO at the beginning of Aug. Started the trip at 3-4 psi and took it up to 5-6 psi outside of Barstow. Guess it was too much for the used Supra fuel pump I had acquired two years ago as it started cutting out when under full boost. Had to disconnect the BEGI and took the boost down to 4 psi and that's where it's lived since. In that trim the EGT will only hit 1450-deg F and that is at full boost turning 37's. Right before I took out the old pump I tested it and it would only max out at 43 psi, which by what I've read will not keep up with the demand I'm placing on it. I also haven't plumbed in the two additional injectors. I did get around to buying a new Supra TT pump and sock and fuel pump relay and fuel pump resistor from Dan and installed it but I've held off for now playing with it until I do my own smog check registration which is due this Oct. I did go the route of installing a fuel pressure gauge but haven't re-connected the BEGI fpr so I have no idea what my target fuel delivery pressure will be. Might have a decent deal on the same gauge I have if you're interested PM me.

summary for ADD's: 10K-12K normal driving, 14.5K max - I've not been able to get it beyond that temp yet.

Mike I just dont understand why my truck seems (may be in my mind) to be handling the fuel needs at higher boosts when others are not. I have a 6lb spring in my external wastegate and my boost gauge will sit as high as 8lb booste pushing it hard up a big hill and in the 4000rpm range and my truck feels so good when it is running like this and the torque is just cool-walks past my 5.2l v8 grand. The crazy thing is my a/f gauge goes rich (not lean) under this condition. (it normally ossilates) Everyone says I need more fuel but the supra pump seems to be doing its job (note I havn't checked fuel pressure under this instance) Things are even better with the glasspack. Note that my exhaust past the glasspack is stock. I realy need to get together with some of you forced induction guys and see if my truck is running as good as I think it is or if Im just smoking crack.

ps will be smoging my "safari" turbod cruiser soon. And if I cant manage the inspection I may sell this rig and buy another normally apirated one

Dusty are you running a piggy-back fpr like the begi? It seems contradictory that you are having such high egt's while reading rich??? I could see maybe running out of fresh air at wot/full boost for extended climbs and then getting to a rich condition but I'd think that unburnt fuel would start lowering/controlling your egt's. Also, do you just have the boost controlled by the wastegate spring? I actually popped the gate part off of mine which initiated my turbo rebuild and headgasket party :hillbilly: Mine is supposed to have a 6-lb spring too but it'll only read 4 psi on my $25 autometer mechanical boost gauge so I'm actually thinking of upgrading to a nicer boost gauge as part of all this fine tuning. You shouldn't have any problem unloading your truck anywhere in the other 95% of the country that doesn't do emissions testing.

mike

I believe my spring and gauge are ok as must of the time it boosts to 6lbs. When I am really winding it out on a long steep grade it does the 8lb thing-most likely from creep possibly due to my wastegate design.
From the ricer forums I frequent I was told that 1800' is not a concern and that egts arn't what I should be using to tune. What I realy need to check is my A/F ratios with a good tuning a/f meter (ie 300 buck +)

What I realy need to check is my A/F ratios with a good tuning a/f meter (ie 300 buck +)

true dat, I was just wondering if you had a boost controller and if you were "investigating" higher boost levels.

been said here and many times but always should be the mantra...

speed costs money!

sometimes I wonder if I'd behave the same if I had a beater Zuk Sami running the VW diesel...

What size turbos are you guys running and able to spool efficently?

When I tuned my Buick GN powered RX-7 with an EGT guage at the top of 3rd gear WOT just passing the 1320' mark I got the best mph out of it with 1600-1650* EGT. On the street I get it at 1500* to not melt anything internally.

Remember that if it is colder or warmer outside that the EGT readings will fluctuate 50-100* meaning in actuality you are not pushing the exact temps that the guage is reading.

1800* for the most part is lean. Under 1500* is on the rich side. I wouldn't go north of 1650* at all... but these engines do have factory oil piston squirters... so maybe they can handle it. IMO not worth the small power gain.

Man do I want to turbo my gas 4.5i now after reading all this info.

Anyone know what the limit of the transmission is before it supposedly begins to slip in stock form? 5500lbs+ with larger tires is one hell of a load on this tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom