turbo charger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man seems like a SBC with fuel injection would give you a ton more power and better milage. I don't want to anger the purists but my short experience is this 3fe motor is a gutless pig and thats with 31 inch tires. It may last forever but it had better because thats how long it will take to hit 60. I think if I had 2k I'd pull the whole drivetrain and drop in a 350/700r4/208 combo and be done. Could be bought used for about 1000 and could probably have the work paid done at 1500. You'd spend more than that just on a turbo and still have less power and gas milage.

clark i think the target price is 4500 for the turbo. The 95-97 model is what they are working on now. The 93-94 is soon to come down the road. It should be the other way around.

Steve-O how much of the rad is blocked out by that intercooler? I thought they fit down low under the rad and blocked out the p/s cooler.

DJForrestA nobody is talking about a turbo for the 3FE. I think a turbo'd 1fz will more than hold its own against a chevy. A turbo'd 3FE probably would too but I agree that is a much closer duel.

Our target price is not firm yet, so if you read any prices on here, please dont hold me to them. I probably wont comment much on the Slee vs. MAF turbo kits, at least not until both are out on the table and ready for sale/distribution. I have great respect for him and his work, and dont want to get into any sort of pissing match....

3fe turbo'd is not the best idea. Personally, I dont think the crank can handle that kind of power. 93-94 turbo kits should be ready in a few months. The 95-97 turbo kits should be ready within the next couple of weeks. We will be shipping the kits out, but for the first few sold, we want to install them here. This is basically to make sure that everything goes on perfect, with no problems. :cheers:

What???? Slee is coming out with a turbo kit as well???? where have I been?? I only talk to him it seems every other week.

You are right steve, this should not be a who's who pissing match on turbos. Both companies are well respected and deliver a quality product.

I do, however, find it kinda ironic yall are both coming out with turbos about the same time. :)

Couple of points,

Alan Podvin owned a lot of different 80 series with various LT1's and other v8 in them, then a turbo 1FZFE. He said I can quote him that the turbo beats the v8 hands down.

We have two 80 series kits in stock. Both will be installed here. One on a 93, the other probably on a 95. After they are installed, run and tested I will have more comments. We are NOT going to produce a CARB compliant kit (we are simply not in a position to do it, and I do not believe that market to be that big that it will support the effort for us). I will leave that to Steve.:D

Price is $5700 for the 1FZFE kit. Includes everything but exhaust. I should have more details on the site soon. We pretty much decided to offer this, like the v8 kits for local demand.

We also have 1 v8 kit left for anyone interested.

PS, on the pissing match. Not interested in that at all. I also do respect Steve and his comments about pricing. I can not see how a quality kit can be produced at a low cost. Also, having more than one option this will not create a price war situation, might be bad news for the consumer. Simply said, it cost money to put these together, there is an inherent risk to supply these, plus making profit in there somewhere pretty much dictates price.

Unless we talk 100's of units I can not see drastic price drops.

I respect both, and I feel that a kit around 5700 is very fair if intercooled when looking at other turbo kits for other cars on the market.

I also cannot see how a small number item like this can induce competition driven pricing. It is going to cost what it costs, and that what it will cost. No well thought out forced induction for the 1fzfe is going to be cheap. Power costs. So I will just have to save my pennies. Oh and anyone want to buy a used TRD supercharger kit? :))))
Cheers,
Sean

Ok, since this is the new turbo meeting thread or whatever, I will post the latest spy photos for ya. Enjoy!
1fzfeturbooct1902.jpg
1fzfeturbooct1903.jpg

Looking good Steve-O. Are you (or Al) going to try and fit the other battery tray in there, even if some surgery is required?

Also, noticed on the turbo the heat shield that appears to be wrapped in foil - have you guys seen these?

Edit: My old eyes finally detected that you have fabricated a special battery tray for that side - great :cheers:

Last edited:
Clown, I havent seen those no, they look pretty hot though. In the interest of cost, the foil shields come with the turbine we buy, so if someone wanted to upgrade to those fancy shields I'm sure they could. Yeah we modified that other tray quite a bit! Plus we had to find an aftermarket catch can for the radiator that would fit in there!

Do you have any pictures of the routing of the intercooler piping thru the front grill and fender area?

If anyone is interested I have a pretty unique set of things for sale. I was planning on mounting a twin turbo supra manifold(and turbos) to the 1FZ via an adaptor plate. I have most of the parts required for the build - manifold - stock twin turbos(good for 380hp+) - downpipe - intercooler - supra fuel pump - billet intake pipe(TRUST) - Brand new Blitz BOV. The turbos are perfect and have no play.

Let me know if you are interested!

PM for pics.

Scott

Steve-O, what psi will it do? Has it been dynoed? If so, what horsepower and torque numbers did you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom