Trying Toyo Open Country 235/85/16 on the no lift 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took them out for a long trail ride this weekend. Did very well, but they’re new. I’ll run them at a little lower pressure next time out. But so far they are a good fit and seem like a perfect tire for the rig.

0B99A3DA-A998-4F79-AAF7-5C5A5430ECCF.jpeg

Took them out for a long trail ride this weekend. Did very well, but they’re new. I’ll run them at a little lower pressure next time out. But so far they are a good fit and seem like a perfect tire for the rig.

View attachment 2393026

I ran a set on my FJC that were E-rated; great tires, never ever had a flat, lasted forever, but the sidewalls were STIFF and I had to air them down to single digits to get the sidewall to flex off-road. Also very noisy on the highway as they wore, though this is less of a problem on a 40. The stiffness and the weight were my only complaints; other than that they were really good tires. If you need sturdy tires to wheel on sharp rocks or thorns, these are the tires for you.

I ran a set on my FJC that were E-rated; great tires, never ever had a flat, lasted forever, but the sidewalls were STIFF and I had to air them down to single digits to get the sidewall to flex off-road. Also very noisy on the highway as they wore, though this is less of a problem on a 40. The stiffness and the weight were my only complaints; other than that they were really good tires. If you need sturdy tires to wheel on sharp rocks or thorns, these are the tires for you.

Those were some reasons I went with the Yokohama G003s instead of the Toyos.... weight and the stiffness. I do love how soft the Yokos feel. For that reason I would assume they may be better on a 40 as well. Still TBD on durability though.

I agree 1911. I live in the Mtn West and my weekend wheeling is rough, remote country. I’m not going fast and my 2f has plenty of pull in low range. I’ve had her out every weekend since putting them on and enjoy the toughness and not worrying about them on the trail (E rated 10ply). I haven’t dropped air to single digits yet. I’m in the teens now on trails :)

Those were some reasons I went with the Yokohama G003s instead of the Toyos.... weight and the stiffness. I do love how soft the Yokos feel. For that reason I would assume they may be better on a 40 as well. Still TBD on durability though.
Those are good tires as well

I have had a pretty bad experience with the Toyo MT. They had a pull that has been irritating. Rather than track down the tire that is causing the pull, I'm getting a new set of BFG KM3 with the 4WP warranty. Not worth the mess of spending time to figure it out.

They look and ride great, but a quick google search yields plenty of people talking about the same thing. They are prone to a radial pull.

My 40 will be getting a set of G003 for sure.

Replaced TREs 2/20. And a front end alignment after which it tracked very straight. Had TOYO MTs installed 11/20 of last year. Now it has a serious pull to the right. My busy a$$ life hasn’t allowed me to take it in until today. It is at the tire store now. Technician called to say the alignment was correct and that it is likely radial pull.
Im hopeful that they can isolate the tire and put it in the back as the spare. I’ll post up the result after I pick it up today.

No luck. Front end was in alignment. Technician switched RF and LF. Still pulled to the right. Rotated tires. Still pulled to the right. This is puzzling as it didn’t pull to the right before the new rims, tires were installed.

No luck. Front end was in alignment. Technician switched RF and LF. Still pulled to the right. Rotated tires. Still pulled to the right. This is puzzling as it didn’t pull to the right before the new rims, tires were installed.
OMG that’s frustrating! I assume you are confident with this tire shop. Sometimes it takes an old school experienced shop to align these rigs.
Hate this for ya. If you can pin it to the tires at least you could try to get Toyo to refund/warranty them but this is puzzling. Could this issue go back to the TRE’s?

@finally I am confident in the shop. The technician who called me seemed knowledgeable. I gave him the history. I know the truck was wrecked on the front left side in the past and I don’t know if perhaps that has something to do with it. It is only slightly pulling now and given the low number of miles I put on it I should probably leave well enough alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom