G'Day all, I'm hoping you guys can help me with my troopy troubles. For the past few weeks, I've been hearing a clunking noise coming from underneath, towards the back of the troopy. It doesn't seem to marry up with anything I'm doing - accelerating, turning, braking, etc. It's definitely not the usual leaf noise I get every so often. And now over the past few days I've been hearing (and feeling) a slow dull grinding noise which is getting worse pretty quickly, so I'm stuck in my driveway until I can figure out what's going on.
- I lifted the rear wheels to check for play - nothing.
- I pulled rear wheels off to check brake pads - good enough.
- I checked the tail shaft for play - nothing.
- I checked oil level in the rear diff - all good. Replaced oil for good measure. Only a small amount of fine metal shavings on the magnetic plug.
- Checked oil levels in transfer case and gearbox - all good too. Replaced oil in both while I was down there.