Troopy Rear Door interchangeably (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know the main body is essentially the same throughout the Troopy years, that said, will HZJ/VDJ78 Troop Carrier rear doors fit an HZJ75 Troop Carrier? I assume so?
Partsouq has 78 doors but not 75 doors.

If reworking my doors is too much trouble I might just snag new ones for $350 (plus the inevitable insane shipping cost)

Only 350$ for a new rear troopy door ? Wow that is a steal I have seen several used sets sell for over a 1000$ per pair.

Only 350$ for a new rear troopy door ? Wow that is a steal I have seen several used sets sell for over a 1000$ per pair.

Yup, unless I clicked on the wrong part number (which is very possible) but it looks to be it.

d3uBFvK.jpg

Word I got from my man in Australia (who knows a few things about Troopies) is that the doors are the same, except that the 78 door has a metal "hoop" on the top (part of the latching mechanism) that the 75 door lacks. According to my source, just cut the extra "hoop" off, grind smooth, and the door is exactly the same as a 75 door. Never tried it myself, or verified it, but no reason to doubt his word. He works on Troopies day in and day out and has owned and serviced them for years and years. If I decide to put the spare carrier on the back of my Troopy, this is the way I would go (i.e. buy a 78 door and modify/paint to match). If you do it before me, I'd be very interested to see the results.

Word I got from my man in Australia (who knows a few things about Troopies) is that the doors are the same, except that the 78 door has a metal "hoop" on the top (part of the latching mechanism) that the 75 door lacks. According to my source, just cut the extra "hoop" off, grind smooth, and the door is exactly the same as a 75 door. Never tried it myself, or verified it, but no reason to doubt his word. He works on Troopies day in and day out and has owned and serviced them for years and years. If I decide to put the spare carrier on the back of my Troopy, this is the way I would go (i.e. buy a 78 door and modify/paint to match). If you do it before me, I'd be very interested to see the results.

Perfect! Thanks man!
I'll let you know if we end up needing to order a set and let you know how it goes.

I was under the impression that from the firewall back* the Troopies major components haven't changed since its introduction which should be good news for guys seeking parts.

* Bulkhead for you Brits.

I was under the impression that from the firewall back* the Troopies major components haven't changed since its introduction which should be good news for guys seeking parts.

* Bulkhead for you Brits.

That's what I hear too.
Just need to be mindful of the part numbers being different for newer models but are essentially the same part vs the older models.
I already bought one 78 series body replacement part for the 75, so far so good. :cool:

BTW, I've seen used sets go for AU$100-150-ish. The bitch is getting them to the USA.

Shoot the dealers in Europe ad a zero behind that price and weird enough they even find customers for them at a wopping 1000 Euro's for a nice pair :(

Fiddled through Partsouq a bit more. Leaning towards these two part numbers below in case anyone else is looking for these too.

The first P/N (LH) is the same between all Troop Carrier years I pulled up. The second door (RH) is a different part number from the HZJ75 listed as a direct replacement for my Troopy but available for order. There's another with a "GCC" notation that's a few bucks more, I remember reading what the difference is in the GCC somewhere but I forgot. I want to say chrome package? But both are for rear door mounted carrier. It's from a '99-'07 FZJ/HZJ78, I assume that's the one with this weird hoop @gilmorneau was talking about. Maybe? Either way, theres the numbers and a link to the diagram.

Shipping will be a whore I'm sure. I'd ballpark guess another $400 in shipping to get them from the UAE to the US. Probably more expensive overall than sourcing a used pair from Australia but this way you'd have a set of brandy new, rust free, dent free, bare doors.

JB1DceF.png
BACK DOOR PANEL & GLASS | LAND CRUISER HZJ78R-RJMRS 08.1999 - 01.2007 | Toyota | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

Last edited:
All the Australian sellers wanted a grip for the door plus shipping for banged up, used, units.
So, doors ordered through Partsouq.
I was spot on with shipping cost... unfortunately. :(
More to come after they arrive.

Hey Tony, did you end up installing 78 series doors? I'm thinking about ordering a 78 RH door with the integral spare tire support. I currently have a non-tire support model and would like to move it back there without adding a swing-armed bumper to be able to have an AUX tank for a thirsty 1FZ. I was wondering if you would recommend getting other parts that you found while installing your doors (IE hinges, misc latches, rubber plugs, glass etc) or did you just transfer everything from your old door to the new one?

Hey Tony, did you end up installing 78 series doors? I'm thinking about ordering a 78 RH door with the integral spare tire support. I currently have a non-tire support model and would like to move it back there without adding a swing-armed bumper to be able to have an AUX tank for a thirsty 1FZ. I was wondering if you would recommend getting other parts that you found while installing your doors (IE hinges, misc latches, rubber plugs, glass etc) or did you just transfer everything from your old door to the new one?

@SNLC Test fitted them but they haven't been installed fully yet.
I think the latching and locking is slightly different but I could be wrong. Part numbers are different but could just be due to it being from a 78-Series vs a 75-Series
I'd buy all new rubbers, gaskets, window seals, latches, strikers, ect... for both doors while you're in there. They're pretty cheap and make a big difference.

Emirates Post has a size limit, and since the door was over the size limit, it would have been $800 in shipping (no thanks). I ended up just ordering from Partsouq via Ebay. It took a week for them to process it, but the door came in 3 days from time they shipped it to my door step which was pretty impressive. Can confirm for myself now that part 67005-60511 is the Troopy door that has the door support.
2021-04-30 12.36.31.jpg

Here's a photo of the "hook" mentioned above that differentiates the 75 and 78 door:
2021-04-30 12.41.21.jpg

A photo of my current 75 door for comparison:
2021-04-30 13.59.01.jpg

I sent off the door to get painted, and the rest of the door components should come sooner than later. I pretty much got every replacement part for it, including the glass. I am curious about whether the new upper striker and latch are designed for the "hook" on the new door so I refrained from grinding the hook off prior to painting. I figured if the new striker/latch are not meant for the 78 door, that I would just grind them off post-paint and hit it quick with touch up paint rather than grinding it off and realizing I should have kept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom