Trick GPS install idea! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

beowulf... i never lie or bs about anything. i saw the link and i made a comment that it looked nice. saw it last night at 10-10:30 eastern, feb 26.

- Sammy

the 25th not 26th

O.R.K.,

That does look sweet. If I were not in Texas I'd be all over it!

Just mounted my GPS III+ this way and very happy with the results. No one ever rides in my backseat so lack of vent is not problem. Plus the other vents now blow harder. No trimming of the bezel was necessary I just used a needle file to slightly round out the center plastic brace of the dash behind the bezel. The GPS is wedged between this center piece and the piece to the driver's left for a very firm hold of the GPS. The bezel then snaps on and voila. I have external power from my second battery to monitor the voltage through the GPS and am using an external antenna. the system works beautifully. Thanks for the idea. I'll post pics when I get a chance. Cheers

Cool SnowCruiser!! I still haven't installed mine yet, glad I could inspire someone else! It's my first mod idea. We use it for geocaching also, so I'd have to make it able to pop out when I get close to the cache! I look foward to seeing your pics.

Actually the removal is not that bad. The bezel pops off pretty smoothly once you figure out the proper hand and finger motion ;) then its a matter of swapping antennas and making sure you have battery power. I would not want to have to do this on a daily basis as the clips on the bezel would probably wear out and I think the bezels run about $50.00 but removal on occasion is no biggy. I still don't have pics yet but I'll try to get some up tonight :cheers:.

I hadn't realized that my III+ has a battery voltage readout! :doh: Looking forward to your pics.

Finally remembered to snap some shots of the GPS. I've had it installed this way for several months now and it works great....much better than the previous mount overhead near the sunroof controls. I have not missed the extra A/C vent yet but then again I never really have anyone in the back seat. Front passengers have not complained either. The GPS does pop out quickly and could be replaced with the vent in about a minute. Its been solid with no rattling and the external antenna works great. The voltage meter is also nice for the second battery. Sorry for the long delay :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom