Transmission Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas!
Ive got an 89 with 189K and a working transmission but could use a rebuild...
I live in Atlanta and ACC is right around the corner. I called down there to see about having the current tranny rebuilt (would love to not have to worry about it for another 200K) and was told that the parts were no longer available for a total rebuild...!!!
The third party they use has told them that its no longer possible as the parts were no more.
Anyone else had this problem?
Anywhere else I could get a rebuild done? I called TLC and they practically laughed when I told them what ACC said.
I've already swapped the trans once and didn't have much luck... thats why I was thinking about a total rebuild instead of just another swap... and potentially run into more of the same problems in 100 miles.
Any suggestions?

Hey fellas!
Ive got an 89 with 189K and a working transmission but could use a rebuild...
I live in Atlanta and ACC is right around the corner. I called down there to see about having the current tranny rebuilt (would love to not have to worry about it for another 200K) and was told that the parts were no longer available for a total rebuild...!!!
The third party they use has told them that its no longer possible as the parts were no more.
Anyone else had this problem?
Anywhere else I could get a rebuild done? I called TLC and they practically laughed when I told them what ACC said.
I've already swapped the trans once and didn't have much luck... thats why I was thinking about a total rebuild instead of just another swap... and potentially run into more of the same problems in 100 miles.
Any suggestions?

Ok, first off please try using the search function. There is a lot of information on transmissions and rebuilds in this forum.

You have a number of options:

1) parts are still available, I had a complete rebuild done last month - both gearbox and transfer case
2) get someone who knows what they're doing to do it. There are folks on this forum who rebuild transmissions professionally and are highly reputable.
3) Don't get some generic transmission place or garage to do the work. Unless they have done a few H55s then they'll not know the subtleties to give you a good rebuild that should last 300,000km+.
4) you can still buy complete new 5 speeds

Second hand transmissions are a poor odds lottery at this stage in a cruisers life-cycle. Unless you have paperwork confirming that it was a recent rebuild and some form of guarantee I would stay well clear.

The labour cost and/or your time loss are just not worth taking punts with second hand in most circumstances.

Good luck

Ironbark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom