Transfer Case Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning a build and i hit a snag with the transfer case. i'm using the AX-15 trans and the stock axles. i can't find an adapter from the AX-15 to the stock transfer case and i cant find a transfer case that has passenger side drops for both front and rear axles except for the atlas II. Id rather not spend $2,500 on a t-case.

Do you guys know of any options that will work with stock axles and can be adapted to the AX-15?

any way to adapt the AX-15 to the stock transfer case?

thanks,

Demian

Something like a doubler would get you there. Toybox , rockbox, black box I'm sure there are others. I had to Google that transmission you are using.

It might be easier to get a different 5sp, such as an h55 or nv4500.

The h55 will cost me as much as the ax-15 and the atlas put together.

And the nv4500 has too low of a first gear and the special fluid requirements I don't want to deal with.

The atlas is overkill since this is a mild build but I'm being forced into it due to lack of options.

If you’re not interested in the low gear, a H42 with AA Torque splitter would be a good choice that would give you a healthy 27% OD and adapter all in one,along with retaining the stock t-case.:hmm:

Let’s take a step back ...... why are you running an AX15?
And which engine do you have in the cruiser?
I assume this is in your 1977 FJ40?

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

A Dana Spicer 18 can be adapted to an AX-15 and has passenger side drops. They were found in Jeeps and Scouts. Here is an article from fourwheeler.com on them. These come up on craigslist all the time for low bucks and Fred Williams recently did a Dirt Every Day Extra answering a viewer question about the 18 and recommended hermtheoverdriveguy.com as a resource for rebuilding and modifying. If you go this route, just tell people its a "Scout transfer case" so they dont get upset about using h**p parts in a Toyota ;)

My 40 had a Dana 18 in it when I got it. It was ok. It would pop out of gear on downhill most of the time.

Let’s take a step back ...... why are you running an AX15?
And which engine do you have in the cruiser?
I assume this is in your 1977 FJ40?

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I want a nice smooth 5 speed. Im building a 65 with an LM7 5.3l vortec to be a comfy daily driver with mild offroad capabilities. I need the overdrive since i spend some time on the freeway. I had an 89 pickup with the v6 and a 5 speed that did everything i needed so i guess im looking for that with a 40 body and a little more ooomph (v8).

The h42 is the stock 4 speed right? That AA splitter might be a good idea. have any of you guys ever run one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom