Trail Teams @ the Sonic Meet! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CodyRx7 said:
I'm remembering the FJC Trail Teams people where the huge group that showed up was divided into 2 groups.

People worried about scratching their new FJCs were sent on a graded road tour, and myself and another near stock 100 were instructed to go on the less challenging route.

I'm just wondering how this compares to that trip

The access to Woodpecker trailhead can be done in a Hyundai sedan, your 100, and anyone else worried about pinstriping or body damage should make it just fine.

As mentioned above, Woodpecker trail is through a wash and it criss-crosses the road. Sounds like they will pick a decently challenging section, hopefuly with a good parking area nearby, and let people take turn on the same loop of trail. This sounds like a much better way of dealing with multiple drivers getting a chance at an obstacle, not just a stretch of dirt road.

Me, I'm going. I'll bring my grill, beverages, and chair and set up my own little camp to watch, grill, eat, and be merry. And the real merryment ( and adult beverage) will begin after I get to drive their FJCruiser.

MaddBaggins said:
Ahhh, I thought maybe Juan was getting an idea how many rigs are gonna crowd the QuickTrip parking lot that night.

Sorry for the late reply, I only check this thing a couple of times a week. I really don’t care how many people show up either day, I’ll be there; I was just replying to Kevin’s request.

We are on the Toyota web site as a planned trail event for next weekend.

"The third Friday of each month, the Copper State Cruisers get together at the local Sonic Drive-In. Friday, September, 15th, the FJ Cruiser Trail Team will be in attendance as well. The Trail Team is hoping to persuade some of the Copper State Cruisers into leading a trail ride the following morning."

We ran the trail yesterday and access is easy. The recent rains have left parts of the road farther in kinda rough, but passable. The fun is in the creek beds, which were running with water yesterday. I'm sure Tools will post more later.

And, Cody, I remember stacking rocks for you because you got stuck going up that "graded road" and then waiting on that hill after you got to the top and lost your tire:D . But you'll be able to get in and out with no lockers, no problem. Hopefully you'll even get to drive an FJ.

I just meant that it wasn't all easy, graded road. We were lucky to have the overflow trip offered since so many people turned out and many weren't prepared for the difficulty of DeSoto Mine Trail.:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:

accasbel said:
As mentioned above, Woodpecker trail is through a wash and it criss-crosses the road. Sounds like they will pick a decently challenging section, hopefuly with a good parking area nearby, and let people take turn on the same loop of trail. This sounds like a much better way of dealing with multiple drivers getting a chance at an obstacle, not just a stretch of dirt road.

What he said...

Also, there is enough in these washes to keep everyone and every skill level happy. If you want to run through a harder 4.0 section and try to dent up the FJC's...ya can...if you want a graded dirt road...you got it, and everything in between. :cool:

accasbel said:
So, gotta ask, anybody know the National Guard schedule? Will there be a "red flag" on the 16th?

doesnt matter, dont NEED to go through the range to get there.

Carl (Blues Dawg), Rob and I braved the rain and did some scouting out at Florence Junction on Saturday. We found a couple of good potential test drive spots, that have parking and will challenge the FJC's. Which one we use depends on how many drivers show and how hard the trail teams want to push their trucks?

The area has had a bunch of rain looks good, lots of green. It has washed out the roads, making travel somewhat slower and removed some of the rock stack at some obstacles. 2WD trucks would have no problems with the main roads, but I wouldn't take a sedan that I valued back there.

We had some carnage, new bumper scars for Blues Dawg and I, Rob shortened his exhaust. Didn't take many pix, one of Blues Dawg playing on the step on Box Canyon RD, Rob on Ajax and one while the tires were swelling up.
carl.jpg
rob.jpg
group.jpg

thanx for including the pic of the blu dog;)

I 'm working on the justification for that new bumper - almost there...

The plan is to spend the morning "test flogging" Toyota's trucks on the rocks, then do a trail run. The access roads to the test area are good for stock 2WD trucks. After the "test flogging" we will probably split up and run two (or more if needed) trails, one group going out relatively easy Box Canyon and the other doing something slightly more challenging like Ajax. Bring lunch and plenty of fluids.

The early weather forecast is calling for sunshine, highs in the mid 90s, so bring plenty of water.

Where; Florence Junction, take US60 east to 79 south, about 5.6 miles to Cottonwood Canyon RD. Stay on the main dirt road about 4.3 miles to the cattle guard where we meet. IIRC there are 3 roads that branch off, first two to the left and the last one to the right.

CB# 4, unless there is other traffic.

When; Saturday the 16th, 8AM meet, 8:30 pullout. If you would prefer to arrive late it's probably doable, just continue on Cottonwood Canyon RD and look for a bunch of Toyotas. If you have the Wells book follow the directions to Ajax.
fj_meet.jpg

Blues Dawg said:
thanx for including the pic of the blu dog;)

Just continue to have me spot you, I am getting good at putting bruises on FJC's bumpers!:D :eek:

Man I wish I could go, but I have to go to some kid's birthday party. Isn't that right Alvin :flipoff2:

Ross

GeoRoss said:
Man I wish I could go, but I have to go to some kid's birthday party. Isn't that right Alvin :flipoff2:

Ross

All you would do is sit on the sidelines and watch anyway :princess: So you might as well come to Zoes party. I'll have adult beverages:beer:

This looks fun but I won't be able to be there. We will be camping behind Roosevelt lake this weekend. BMAN I will have to get you that dinner next time. BTW I only needed the fusible link.

Sean

MaddBaggins said:
All you would do is sit on the sidelines and watch anyway :princess:

Oh man, that cuts to the bone. :D

MaddBaggins said:
All you would do is sit on the sidelines and watch anyway :princess: ...

GeoRoss said:
Oh man, that cuts to the bone. :D

Why:confused: If you choose to showup, I am sure we can find a place to park your :princess: rig and a seat for you to ride in!:D :cheers:

Blues Dawg said:

i'd say keeping a new rig looking good as long as possible is justification,, just wish someone had told me that.:censor:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom