Trail Teams @ the Sonic Meet! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is it! Stay tuned, I'm sure someone will post pics. Right? Right?

I had a good time, and learned a few things I didn't know about FJC's.

-Spike

First off, a big thanks to Toyota for allowing us the pleasure of beating on their rigs!:D And :cheers: to the Trail Team guys for putting up with us.

A few of us got out there early to look at possible sites and they were even more washed out than last week, so wound up picking new ones. In this process got the silver FJC stuck, twice, ripped the right rear bumper end off, put nice new rash on the sliders and rolled a tire off of the rim! That poor truck had a tough day, but kept ticking along.:D

Great turnout, but people came and went all day making it impossible to get a good head count. FJCs are fun rigs, met a bunch of new faces and had a blast. One group went out Box Canyon, heard there was a bunch of water in it and everyone made it out OK. Our group and the Trail Teams played in the washes, Ajax and Woodpecker on the way out.

Didn't take many pix, too busy doing what I do best, BSing, saw a bunch of cameras in action hopefuly others got some good pix.
9-16-2006_1.jpg
9-16-2006_2.jpg
9-16-2006_3.jpg

Thanks for the pics Kev. I had to get out, too much sitting and watching for my taste.

I only got a couple pics cause I was only there at the start of the morning (explanation follows).....

HERE'S the pics I got.

After getting to the start of Lower Ajax and seeing the silver FJC having trouble with the wet rocks, and wet sand in the first section, Branden had left a couple of us with the silver and yellow FJC's while he went to go scout ahead to find a more suitable spot to "test drive" and to scout out the trail at Lower Ajax. He came back and said he'd found a good spot near the windmill...so Nate (Taco pre-runner) and I lead the way to the windmill while Branden went back to the meeting spot on Cottonwood Canyon near the cattle guard.

After sitting for a while at the windmill we wondered what had happened to the silver FJC. Nate and I jumped in his truck to go back and find it stuck in a tight section of another wash and they were just finishing up changing the tire after popping a bead. Nate and I hung out there for 5 or 10 minutes and decided to see what was keeping the rest of the group.

We headed down Cottonwood Canyon toward the meeting spot to find no one there and we passed no one on the way...being confused, we opted to head all the way back to the highway thinking for some reason everyone had met there instead. We found no one there either. Not able to get ahold of Branden on Nextel and Nate not having a CB...we were out of touch. I figured the only explanation was that the group had snuck behind us while we were stopped with the silver FJC. At this point we really didn't want to run all the way back in to the group and decided to just go flog his truck :D

We ran the gas line road (TTORA campers from last year know this road), at about 60-70 mph all the way to the north end where it meets HWY.60 then turned around and came back catching 10x the air UNDER the tires than what's kept IN all 5 of the tires :eek: ...now that's a bada$$ ride. I am sure Phil knows what I'm talkin about ;)

But anyway...that's what happened to us. Once we were back at Cottonwood Canyon, it was around 11 am and we decided to just head out. That was fun, let's do it again :flipoff2:

I had a good time. There was quite a bit of standing around waiting for things to happen, but I think the Toyota Trail team guys did a good job of keeping the vehicles moving and rotating drivers. The silver FJ was pretty worn out from months on the road and lugging around a full set of armor on a stock set up. With all the weight it was actually lower than stock. I got lucky and was able to drive the yellow FJ on both sections. They are capable lil rigs. I can't imagine wheeling one hard while making payments on it, but I think in ten years or so, these things are going to be highly coveted by the OR community and by Toyota afficianados in particular.

I went on the Box Canyon jaunt with five other fellas -- three of them FJs owners who wanted to give their rigs a romp without the danger of having to make an insurance claim. My 80 is completely stock and I figured Box Canyon was about all I wanted to put it through with the stock Michellin's on it and no lift. It was my first time wheeling the 80 and it did drag on a couple of rocks, but otherwise did better than I expected. With some new meats and a couple of inches of lift I should be able to have some real fun.

I met a lot of people, many of whom I can't remember first names, but it was a pleasure. I had a good time and I'll catch you guys on the next trail run.

Ed

Sorry I had to miss it. But yesterday evening Zoe told me "dad, I had a lot of fun at my party". So there ya go. It was well worth it missing this one.

sounds like a good time for all - I missed yesterday so took my FJ out there w/ a buddy and his Heep. We did a good portion of Woodpecker - and it was more washed out than last week - put another hole in the stock bumper cover in the same spot as last week on a different line, the third line was clean. We then hit the box and lotsa water, all fun and some excitement (I'll start a new thread on that one).

First off, thanks to the FJ Cruiser team for coming out and letting us bash their skid plates on the rocks. Though I probably won't buy one soon, it was cool to drive them and see the real-world capability of the rigs. Lots of time to get to know CSC members while we waited to play. Had a good run out Box Canyon with 3 FJ Cruisers, a 4Runner, and 2 80's. In the couple of times I've been through Box Canyon, I haven't seen this much water. It was good to see...

1. Milling around (har, har...)

2. Taking one of the FJ Trail Team's trucks up some rocks.

3. Giving the trail team some pointers?
IMG_0132lowreslowres.jpg
IMG_0141lowreslowres.jpg
IMG_0151lowreslowres.jpg

A few more

1. The silver FJC smoothing out the rocks...

2. Mr. "I didn't think you could make it, but I'll spot you anyway"

3. coming out through Box Canyon
IMG_0155lowreslowres.jpg
IMG_0176lowreslowres.jpg
IMG_0195lowreslowres.jpg

No, but he's really good at pulling his front driveshaft off at the diff and putting the slip yoke back together now. Practice makes perfect!

-Spike

I believe he's going with the 'longer slip shaft' option.
Apparently a necessary mod for 40's with the spring shackles on the rear of the front springs.

-Spike

Yea I'll be getting longer slip shaft soon. I had heard that it was necessary when doing the SR but when I measured it I didn't think I would need one. Also that is the first time it came apart and I have wheeled a fair amount since the SR. Oh well...

I had a lot of fun on the trail. It was great to see everybody out there and play around with the FJ Cruisers. Thanks to those that put the event together and the ones that spotted for me while I was playing.

Richard

Weekend wheeling pictures...

Thanks you all for allowing a Nissan to tag along (and not giving me too much $hit for it). And thank you FJ Trail Team for allowing me to add a few gashes to the skid plates.

Here is a link to the gallery which I have posted the pics I took this weekend. The pics are huge so downloading them might be slow, but they make great desktop wallpaper

http://picasaweb.google.com/lbierner/FJCruiserTrailTeamWheeling

See you all on the trail again soon...
DA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom