Trail Tailor in bumper winch plate install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the weekend I installed the Trail Tailor winch plate in my 2013 LC. I told @reevesci that I would write up some notes from the install.

As it turns out the 2016 bumper is different than the 2013 – the 2013 has less space.
upload_2018-7-3_12-23-15.png

Left side of the photo is a 16+ (slightly modified to try and get it to fit) and on the right the plate for a 2013.

upload_2018-7-3_12-25-34.png

The front bumper is easy to take off, nothing special, just pay attention to what goes where so it goes back together. I had the bumper off three times during this process, it comes off in about 10 minutes now!

The styrofoam and aluminum energy absorbers come off along with the mounts.

upload_2018-7-3_12-26-43.png

Winch plate test fit – verified that the mounts were flush to the frame.

upload_2018-7-3_12-27-38.png

Since I wasn’t sure if this plate would fit, I put the bumper back on to check….it fit really well, nice and tight. It was @reevesci idea to have the plate follow the angle of the bumper, it really turned out nicely. I also marked the fairlead mounting holes on the inside the bumper with a sharpie so that I could cut the bumper once it was off the LC.

upload_2018-7-3_12-29-37.png

The bumper support bracket needs to be modified so that the winch will fit on the tray. There is a piece I cut out – the bracket seems strong enough that it won’t cause an issue in the future.

The winch I chose was a ComeUp 9.5k. The winch fits but there didn’t seem to be many options for the control box. There wasn’t enough wire to mount the control box behind the passengers side headlight and there isn’t a lot of real-estate behind the bumper. The winch includes a wireless controller but I still wanted to have access to the box to plug in the hand held control. With just a slight bit of modification to the cross support I was able to fit the box under the support. The control box fits and doesn’t touch. To get the support out, the headlights have to be taken out temporarily to remove a bolt below – I think there are only three bolts holding the support. It’s easy to remove – I didn’t disconnect the headlights, just temporally removed the bolts holding them and then put them back in place.

upload_2018-7-3_12-43-46.png

Support out

upload_2018-7-3_12-44-8.png

Cross member modification

upload_2018-7-3_12-44-25.png

Control box with cross member

upload_2018-7-3_12-44-43.png

Wired for test to see if it works.

upload_2018-7-3_12-45-8.png

Cutting the bumper wasn’t hard. I used the fairlead to mark/outline the location referencing the marks from the winch plate. I used a Dremel tool and slowly made the cut, I then cleaned it up with a file. It turned out pretty well, not perfect but good enough for me.

Last edited:
upload_2018-7-3_12-46-3.png

Bumper back on, the fit looks good.

upload_2018-7-3_12-46-25.png

Good fit

upload_2018-7-3_12-46-42.png

I wanted the winch to be low profile and the red ComeUp hook was a bit loud but I do like a hook. The Factor 55 ultrahook was overkill but fits nicely.

upload_2018-7-3_12-47-16.png

The control box is easily accessed with the cover off. The cover is very easy to remove. I can also reach the spool clutch easily. I will likely cut two holes in the cover but have yet to do that, the remote works great.

upload_2018-7-3_12-47-33.png

My pond rehab project – a full bucket load and got the tractor stuck in the mud. I probably could have worked it out with the backhoe but why not test the winch. It weights about 5k…the winch didn’t have a problem at all and stayed in the bumper!

I am very happy with the install. It is what I wanted and the winch is excellent.

I don't like to be a Debbie downer, but I would have safety concerns removing the aluminum bumper bar. Is it not possible to mount the winch to the existing bumper bar? Is it possible to keep it in place and add the plate on top as reinforcement if the bar isn't strong enough?

My thinking is that in a small overlap impact, that bit of bumper bar is very useful in keeping the vehicle safe.

@Fasternfaster - Initially I had a similar thought and was concerned about removing the aluminum crash bar but I am not worried about it now. What was removed from the LC is energy absorbing material from what I can tell. It is styrofoam and aluminum are meant to absorb energy in a bumper at low speeds. Looking at the mounts between the aluminum and frame, they are thin metal and are surely not very strong - they don't need to be since my assumption is that the bumper was designed to be sacrificial. What I have replaced it with is 1/4"+ steel plate and a heavy winch. This obviously will not absorb energy in the same way but i'm not so concerned about that...it will be much more efficient at transferring energy which is very dependent on the scenario.

There is no space to leave the aluminum portion of the bumper in and it's not strong enough to support a winch.

For me, I didn't want to have a ARB or TJM bumper on the LC now...I have a TJM on my 4runnner - that is a huge mass of steel directly connected to the frame. The winch plate is somewhere in the middle of the TJM and the LC bumper. It's a lot stronger than what I removed. It will not protect the 14" on either side of the winch plate as well as the supported bumper but i'm ok with that.

Then again, I've been a motorcycle commuter year around for more then ten years...I never plan on an accident and always assume a little risk!

Just looked at the trail tailor website and didn't see the winch plate for your 2013 listed. Are they not making them yet? I'm interested in one for my 2011

Just looked at the trail tailor website and didn't see the winch plate for your 2013 listed. Are they not making them yet? I'm interested in one for my 2011

I have 5 (GEN 1 HWMs) at the powder coater as of Thursday (10 day lead time currently). Andrea has been sick and hasn't had a chance to get them on the website yet.

Jason

Reactions: dmc
I would guess between 20-30 pounds. At the moment I still have the stock suspension and didn't notice it sagging any more than without the winch and winch plate.

Crash testing done with modifications to the bumper?
Community, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on asking if there were crash tests done with a modification and removal of a stock piece of the 2016 bumper? This other guy seems to have an issue with the ask. I personally like that ARB and TJM do crash tests when they modify and they're very trusted here, just like Trail Tailor is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom