Trail Gear Custom Bumper Design (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I didn't have the free time this time around to build a bumper from scratch. I decided to go with the Trail Gear winch mount as the starting point for my bumper. I love tube bumpers for their strength and low weight so I am going that route again on the new 80. I wasn't a huge fan of their tube bumper design but really liked the winch mount section (has the receiver hitch built in) so I am just going to design my own bumper around their center section. I purchased this a few months ago when they were running 10% off Trail Gear items and free shipping with a purchase of over $100. My total cost to my front door was right around $140. Here's the link and a pic of what I started with. Even came with the mounting hardware which was a nice bonus I wasn't expecting. It's all 1/4" plate, welds are solid, and weighs about 50lbs at this point.
FJ80 Winch Mount - Trail Gear

Here is the early version of my CAD design. I had some free time at lunch today so I tossed some tubing at their design to see what I liked. This isn't going to be the final design but it will be close. I will refine it over the next week and then start bending and welding up some tubing in a week or two. I will document the build as I go.

I like it!!

Very NICE! I'm going to get just the plate soon also.
Just for fun if you have time could you give the tubes around the head lights a raised shoulder look by raising up the out side portion like some of the FJ front bars do.

Very NICE! I'm going to get just the plate soon also.
Just for fun if you have time could you give the tubes around the head lights a raised shoulder look by raising up the out side portion like some of the FJ front bars do.
The outside corners are already raised and the upper tube is angled down. It gives it a slightly aggressive look. When I make the angle more extreme it looks like I'm trying too hard to make the front end look angry. This seemed to be a good middle ground for an aggressive feel without being a poser. I played around with that angle quite a bit until I found something I liked.

Last edited:
Here is the early version of my CAD design. I had some free time at lunch today so I tossed some tubing at their design to see what I liked. This isn't going to be the final design but it will be close. I will refine it over the next week and then start bending and welding up some tubing in a week or two. I will document the build as I go.

this is probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while. I wish I know how to mess around with whatever software you're using to come up with an idea of my own. But overall this is great.

very exciting for a change!

What winch are you planning on running? If possible I would suggest shortening the nose for a tighter fit and welding the fairlead plate back on.

The outside corners are already raised and the upper tube is angled down. It gives it a slightly aggressive look. When I make the angle more extreme it looks like I'm trying too hard to make the front end look angry. This seemed to be a good middle ground for an aggressive feel without being a poser. I played around with that angle quite a bit until I found something I liked.
Yes, it was just for fun.... if you only have time to do that. It looks better than the TG bumper.

How about running the mounting plate above the frame rails. You'd get a better approach angle that way. The angle of the lower bars would be less severe as well.

What winch are you planning on running? If possible I would suggest shortening the nose for a tighter fit and welding the fairlead plate back on.
The winch in the CAD file is based off the winch already on the 80. It's the Warn 9k winch. It's mounted to an ARB bumper right now that needs a new home. I actually have the entire bumper pulled out 2". The tubing that goes around the headlight was actually hitting the body in the CAD file. In the real world the 80 front end angles back a bit more and would clear. To make it look good in the pics I just pulled the bumper out 2". It will sit 2" closer to the body in the real world. My 80 front end is just the overall height, width, and depth. I made sure the frame rails were the correct height, width, and overall size so the Trail Gear bumper would actually mount to it correctly. My hope is that once on the actual truck the nose wont stick out as much. If so, then the angle grinder will be busy shortening things up.

Last edited:
How about running the mounting plate above the frame rails. You'd get a better approach angle that way. The angle of the lower bars would be less severe as well.
I think that would put the winch pretty high and totally cover the grille. It's also a more structurally sound design to have the winch mounted between the frame rails and not up above them. I also don't want to restrict air flow over the radiator in any way. I mounted a winch right in front of the radiator on my XJ years ago and had a ton of overheating issues. Don't want to make the same mistake twice.

So I had some time this weekend to play around a bit more with the bumper design. I decided to make the upper stinger line up better with the bottom support tube. It looked visually off that they didn't line up. I also am not liking that the stinger is straight up and down. I think I will angle it forward a bit by maybe 10-15 degrees to be flush with the bottom tubing. I will work on that later this week if I can find some time.

here is the view of the stinger going straight up. It will probably angle forward a bit when I'm all done with the design.

Here's a pathetic photo shop attempt of what I'm thinking for the front stinger angle. Not sure if I like it or not. That's why I like to design in CAD first. Run through all my ideas in the 3D form so I have a good idea on what the final bumper will look like before I commit my time and money into building it. I'm sure once I start fabrication there will be subtle changes I will make .

my taste is different from yours, I like the straight up and down aesthetically, out of curiosity is there an advantage with the angle?

really interested in seeing how this will eventually turn out, props.

my taste is different from yours, I like the straight up and down aesthetically, out of curiosity is there an advantage with the angle?

really interested in seeing how this will eventually turn out, props.
You could argue that an angle would put an animal under the truck instead of onto the hood/into the windshield. Not sure it matters in reality.

Nicely done! I think the angled front looks better. I might also add a bend to the currently straight support tubes that connect the frame to the outer wing. In my mind that would tuck them up nicely.

Nicely done! I think the angled front looks better. I might also add a bend to the currently straight support tubes that connect the frame to the outer wing. In my mind that would tuck them up nicely.
Zero advantage that I know of. I just prefer the angled look a little bit more. If I'm going to make my own bumper I am going to design it 100% to my taste. My issue right now is that I'm not 100% sure I know exactly what my taste is. I have the general idea of what I want but the last little details have not figured themselves out in my head yet. That may not happen until I actually get into fabrication next week. I will document the build so others can get an idea on the process of making a custom bumper off the Trail Gear winch mount/center section.

Zero advantage that I know of. I just prefer the angled look a little bit more. If I'm going to make my own bumper I am going to design it 100% to my taste. My issue right now is that I'm not 100% sure I know exactly what my taste is. I have the general idea of what I want but the last little details have not figured themselves out in my head yet. That may not happen until I actually get into fabrication next week. I will document the build so others can get an idea on the process of making a custom bumper off the Trail Gear winch mount/center section.

I like the angled front. Similar to my old AOE. I think it gives it a sleeker appearance vs the typical cattle fence brush guard look.

8442894119_6f7f10fc71_h.jpg

I like the angled front. Similar to my old AOE. I think it gives it a sleeker appearance vs the typical cattle fence brush guard look.

8442894119_6f7f10fc71_h.jpg
I love the look of that bumper. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the weight. I saw one in person and realized it was almost all 1/4" plate. Not sure if it was a custom request for 1/4" plate or if that is how they are all made.That had to be close to a 300lb. bumper. You add lights and a winch and your now over 400lbs. I love the idea of a bumper I can smash on the rocks but I also love the idea of light weight. DOM .120 wall tubing seems to be the perfect answer for that.

I love the look of that bumper. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the weight. I saw one in person and realized it was almost all 1/4" plate. Not sure if it was a custom request for 1/4" plate or if that is how they are all made.That had to be close to a 300lb. bumper. You add lights and a winch and your now over 400lbs. I love the idea of a bumper I can smash on the rocks but I also love the idea of light weight. DOM .120 wall tubing seems to be the perfect answer for that.

Yeah that must have been a one-off. Mine was 3/16". Heavy, but similar to any other plate bumper with full headlight guards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom