TPS Adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
I have the FSM but am not clear on the procedure for how to adjust the TPS... The manual says to run vacuum... Basically I just crank up the truck and let it idle while I'm doing the adjustment, right?

Do you have an Ultra-Gauge or other way of seeing throttle percentage? If so, we set it ~11-12 at idle and ~77-80ish WOT.

yes, I do... but i'll need to see if I can see the throttle % on it. what does WOT stand for?
Thanks!!

My SnapOn scanner said it should be below 11% @idle. Don't know what the actual number is supposed to be. It's been wrong before

WOT
Wide open throttle
This and much more can be found in the FAQs.
Frequently Asked Questions

ok, thanks for the clarification guys

I don't recall the OBD2 port data adjustment method being supported by the FSM? But adjusting it that way gets to the same result and is much easier, with less chance of messing it up? We have carefully done the rather laborious FSM method, then observed the OBD2 output at 11% idle 77% WOT, ish.

It's very simple to do, turn the key to run, motor off. Bring up TP% on the screen, note idle, floor the pedal, note WOT reading. If it's not close, loosen the screws and move until you get the reading you want. If you suspect TPS issue, have a code, slowly move the pedal from idle to WOT, the reading should smoothly increase with pedal movement. If there are random dropouts, 0% or 100%, etc, then there is a problem.

I just went out and checked mine, it's 12.5 idle, 78.6 WOT, no running issues, pretty sure it's never been adjusted.

Yeah, I just now did it, and you're right- piece of cake. Everything looks good now from the idle end of things, but I'm only seeing 38% at WOT.... I'm going to recheck this max reading via a slow push on the accelerator pedal...

Yeah confirmed... I think I need to get back in there and keep fiddlin with it because it's 12.5 at idle and 32.9 at 5,000 rpm / WOT

Yeah confirmed... I think I need to get back in there and keep fiddlin with it because it's 12.5 at idle and 32.9 at 5,000 rpm / WOT

That sounds like a dead sensor, it should make 80%ish WOT. You can do it with the motor off, key to run, no need to zing the motor.

... and 32.9 at 5,000 rpm / WOT

RPM is irrelevant, full WOT is important. If the cable is incorrectly adjusted, gummy bears, french fries, floor mat, etc, under the pedal stop, will prevent full WOT.

Last edited:
If you are doing it with the motor running, do it while driving, with a load on the motor.

Yeah, that was the solution- I pulled around the neighborhood and then got the readings I needed! :)

inkpot, yes, the TPS issue is solved. I have a separate issue with overheating that I have a separate thread for.... ;)

inkpot, yes, the TPS issue is solved. I have a separate issue with overheating that I have a separate thread for.... ;)

So, you mean the inter cooler thread or did I miss an engine coolant thread?

The IC thread.... Adjusting the TPS has t done anything that I can tell in terms of overheating....

So your coolant is getting hot or just the intake/fuel charge?

Both- I've got an SC ....

I would deal with coolant problems first. I too have a SC, and I don't overheat when its 115 here in Phoenix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom