TPMS sensor behavior, don't believe your installer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm guessing this is already known. I searched and didn't find anything.
I had a blow out on a pothole and got the MIL for the sensor. Put the spare on. Fast forward 5 days waiting on tires shipping and I go to install and the tire guy says, "all your sensors are bad"
I said that probably wasn't true, they all worked fine 5 days ago. He said, "well I can't get them to transmit."

Light was steady, not blinking. What I know now is that it's possible for all five sensors to quit transmitting if one fails. OR, techs reader was in error. OR I don't understand this system.
But I had to decide, either reinstall old sensors, which were fine. Go with new rubber stems. Which I did.

I put all five sensors in a pvc tube and filled it up with 35psi. As soon as I put pressure to the tube, the MIL went out. Which makes me wish I ignored the tire guy and stayed with the sensors I had. I didn't even have to push the reset button. Light just vanished, no techstream or nothing.

The moral is just because someone tells you they're bad, doesn't make it true. And, 4 year old tires will blow out easier than brand new ones.

unnamed.jpg

The reason it did that is because the switch in glove box needed to be pushed. These 100 series cruisers have the capability to read two sets of tires with TPMS. I learned this from my Toyota tech buddy. If you run your techstream it should tell you which ones are not reading, if it says all of them push the button in the glovebox and reset it. The info should start relaying to the PCM and therefore registering in Techstream. I took mine in and they said the same thing, but then spoke with Toyota tech, he pushed button and 4 out of 5 registered within a 10 minute time span. I don't want to know what you paid to replace all 5 of them, i am just dealing with the light for now... Haha

No I think maybe I didn't explain well enough. I didn't buy new sensors. I had four in four tires and a blown out fifth.
When the new tires came in tech said they were bad, none of the five were transmitting. SO I had to decide right there on the spot whether to re use the 5 stock tpms or go with rubber, even if I didn't trust the guy. I just had them use rubber stems and took the five tpms with me and tested them at home with the pipe. And they all were fine.

I just thought it was odd that none would transmit after the blow out. So I figured that was the way they were suppose to behave if one gave up the ghost, then the other stop transmitting. Which seems odd to me, but whatever. Now I have this silly tube to zip tie to the frame somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom