TOYOTA PIC OF THE DAY POST (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A dude in the 70 series forum just bought this brand new: 2022 model with VDJ diesel v8 and manual trans LHD. I'm sick with envy!

pxl_20221223_163606537-portrait-jpg.3205941

pxl_20221224_170608318-jpg.3205942

pxl_20221224_170612781-jpg.3205944

pxl_20221224_174020718-jpg.3205945

pxl_20221224_170626139-jpg.3205951

Watched a you tube video on that 70 series, so much the same as day one except the engine, interior very simple which I really like. Big one up is the two cup holders in the 70th anniversary :beer:

Watched a you tube video on that 70 series, so much the same as day one except the engine, interior very simple which I really like. Big one up is the two cup holders in the 70th anniversary :beer:
These are the last true cruisers imho. I love how unchanged they are after 30+ years. Most body interior parts I buy for mine cross to these still.

Well, if someone had deep enough pockets to buy and ship one of these, it seems like it might even be possible to legitimately import it with enough patience. Just gotta talk to the right person I'm sure: Pre-clearing new vehicles for importing using the case-by-case process - https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/importing-vehicle/pre-clearing-new-vehicles-importing-using-case-case-process
It would be great if it was that easy, but that is for "Canadian Specification" vehicles purchased direct. There is no legit way (within the means of a typical enthusiast at least) around the 15 year federal import restriction for a foreign market cruiser for use on public roads. But in 2023 you could bring in a 2008 lhd hzj76 if you could find one (lhd 76s started in 2008 to my understanding)

It would be great if it was that easy, but that is for "Canadian Specification" vehicles purchased direct. There is no legit way (within the means of a typical enthusiast at least) around the 15 year federal import restriction for a foreign market cruiser for use on public roads. But in 2023 you could bring in a 2008 lhd hzj76 if you could find one (lhd 76s started in 2008 to my understanding)
You're probably right. Vdj76 rhd can be brought in already also. I've thought about it. I don't think the 1hz offers that much more over my tuned up 2lte to justify the expense going to hzj76. 1hz is still idi which is what I'd like to get away from.

I've been pretty happy with my stock 1hz so far, but the truck is still stock so we will see once I can lift and get some larger tires on. It seems to go as well or better than my turboed 3b 60. Turboing the 1hz seems like a compromise for sure.

I think lhd hdj100 might be the sweet spot for an import right now if you can stomach ifs. The Aussies sure love the 1hd-fte. Then sell it to the Americans once it's 25 and upgrade.

Last edited:
I've been pretty happy with my stock 1hz so far, but the truck is still stock so we will see once I can lift and get some larger tires on. It seems to go as well or better than my turboed 3b 60. Turboing the 1hz seems like a compromise for sure.

I think lhd hdj100 might be the sweet spot for an import right now if you can stomach ifs. The Aussies sure love the 1hd-fte. Then sell it to the Americans once it's 25 and upgrade.

1HDFTE 100 series would be pretty great. I'd really like one with the A750 (later 5 speed auto) or H151. Definitely nice trucks. Could do a SAS sometime if the IFS really was a pain. When the british pound was so low, I was drooling over these out of the UK.

Just going to push my light duty 70 for another 1.5 years till mortgage is done. Then look more seriously at replacement options.

There are allowances for starter kit cars... You'd need to ship disassembled and missing certain parts. Your not allowed to have follow up shipments, so i guess you'd need to identify a list of things you can buy locally, create or work with a company to create a kit car and then ship, procure the other parts and reassemble into a landcruiser imitation kit car...

Re kit cars, here are the federal rules:

Seems the only somewhat legit way to do it in BC is import "parts" and then build your kit on a legal chassis. If you look at someone like Mekanix.ca he sells mine trucks (so can import new, complete units) but offers to build you a newer "legal" hzj79 on an 80 series frame.

Solid axle, just add 1hd-ft or put a manual pump on a FTE.

One of my favourite cruiser was my wife's 100 series factory TRD Supercharged, trying to buy it back from my buddy as it is being taken over by black berry bushes and full green interior mold and fungus. His triple locked 80 is worse condition as it sat for well over 12 years.:frown:

Last edited:

Curious, what did you get with the 1hz in it?

Curious, what did you get with the 1hz in it?
I got an hzj105. Tried to bring it to the new import facility in Nanaimo but that part didn't quite go as planned.

I got an hzj105. Tried to bring it to the new import facility in Nanaimo but that part didn't quite go as planned.

Great story, fantastic truck. Have to meet up for coffee one day, pick your brain on this import stuff.

For sure.

Some photos since it is the photo thread. I pretty much just followed the directions in the importing thread by Gilmorneau in the importing section. That plus a visit to ICBC for the BC details is enough to get it done.

View attachment 3208955

View attachment 3208956

View attachment 3208957

That's awesome! Great looking and spec'ed truck! I do hear those newer 1HZ's are more powerful than the early ones. I can't wait to see that truck in person. This is reason for a Nanaimo meet!

Eknomf, I forgot this was your handle. Nice to see you a few weeks maybe months back as you mentioned this new to you cruiser. If you are near the shop drop by .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom