Toyota Front Skid Plate - Worth It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if the front skid plate is worth buying. It just looks like it bolts over the top of a steel plate that is already there. At $250-300, I don't want to spend my money on just a showpiece, if that's all it is.

Michael

It's just 'extra' between the ground and that other steel plate. I plan on taking mine off and using it to form a rough template for a better plate out of steel.

Take it off...purely blingola as the brackets are not stout that hold it on...not much point. I would use the black plates as templates to rig up something bigger if I were you.

DanKunz said:
Take it off...purely blingola as the brackets are not stout that hold it on...not much point. I would use the black plates as templates to rig up something bigger if I were you.

That's a good idea Dan, thanks.

DanKunz said:
Don't waste your money. While the brackets are actually strong enough for most encounters, but the outter edges are cantilevered way to far out and fold. My FJ had one from the port, and it is so bent up I'd have to re-drill to remount it. Also, it hangs too low, forms an effective scoop for mud and other nasties. Third, it is aluminum, not the best material to deform and bend back into shape. Get something fabbed out of steel, that is supported center and edges, and that tucks away better.

Blues Dawg said:
Don't waste your money. While the brackets are actually strong enough for most encounters, but the outter edges are cantilevered way to far out and fold. My FJ had one from the port, and it is so bent up I'd have to re-drill to remount it. Also, it hangs too low, forms an effective scoop for mud and other nasties. Third, it is aluminum, not the best material to deform and bend back into shape. Get something fabbed out of steel, that is supported center and edges, and that tucks away better.

Agreed. Not worth it if you are going to wheel on a regular basis.

That being said, anyone want to buy mine?:D

It is possibly good for shovelling snow in the winter time.....

Could be good to make your Cruiser 'skip' over deer better after smashing them with your bull bar....

Anyone else got any ideas what it's good for?

:D

Improvised grill...put it on a campfire and cook some steaks.

DanKunz said:
Improvised grill...put it on a campfire and cook some steaks.

Maybe I will get it then. You never know when you might need a campfire grille. ;)

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom