Towing with KDSS Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had my 2005 GX (air bags replaced with stock hight springs, KDSS and stock tow package) for over a year now and want to do a bit of towing with it. I have a few questions:

1. What is the typical hitch ball drop? I want to tow a car carrier. I understand that it is custom for every trailer but is there a typical one that folks buy? 2" seems a bit standard.

2. This article says that a GX with KDSS cannot tow anything:

It is also important to note that GX470 models that used the kinetic dynamic suspension system were not capable of pulling any weight.

Is this true? I have KDSS and the stock tow package with a 7 slot connector. It would seem strange that Lexus would put these two items together if I can't use one.

Last edited:
Hogwash.
I have KDSS, a factory receiver, and the auxiliary transmission cooler that’s standard on all 470’s.
Tows like a champ.

I tow car trailer right at 5000 lbs a few times with mine. It did fine. Did not notice any problems.
Don't understand why, since the KDSS are not load bearing.

Yeah, I mean, everything I've read online is that tons of people tow with KDSS and do so without any issue. No clue why the owner's manual has the warning about not towing with it. Not an engineer, but maybe the stress on the hydraulic system with the extra weight on the back end can cause issues? Maybe lexus just didnt want to warranty that possibility?

Out of curiosity, I called around to some of the Lexus dealers near Atlanta. Each of the service reps I talked with had never heard about the towing clause in the owner's manual and went to check with their shop foreman. None had ever heard of an issue towing with KDSS, and all confirmed that you could order KDSS equipped GX470s with towing packages. One of the guys said their best guess for why that line was in my 2004 owner's manual was part fitment. That, at that time, the full receiver hitch might not have fit with KDSS and the full-sized spare. Apparently the OEM full receiver hitch has went through some revisions over the years.

So, general consensus: tow away.

You guys rock! Thanks for the insights! I suspected the 2004 thing as well.

So, what kind of hitch drop do you guys have? It looks like 2" is the normal drop. Sound good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom