Towing: GX470 vs Tundra vs 200 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
We have a hybrid camper that I pull with my GX470. I’ve been considering getting a Tundra or Ram Limited with a 5.7 liter…then I started thinking….the 200 series is a 5.7 as well. Would I see a marked improvement in towing power going from the GX470 to a 200? My 2000100 series was a slug due to the different transmission….but once I realized the 200 had the 5.7 liter it gave me hope yo get back into a LC AND be able to tow better than my 4.7 470.

Thoughts??

The 200 has plenty of power and tows reasonably well (lots better than the 80 and 100 series), but it has a shorter wheelbase than the Tundra and coils instead of leaf rear springs so may be at a minor disadvantage compared head to head. The 200 Series I've owned (two) are a ton more comfortable than any of the (three) 5.7 Tundra's I've owned.

Good point on the coils. Hmm. The tongue weight of the camper is only 400lbs or so and it doesn’t get super bouncy with the Gx470, but the coils would be a consideration. Overall it should be an improvement over the Gx470 towing-wise I guess? Granted the GX470 has the airbags in the rear.

The 200 tows well, but it isn't like a pickup. If I towed more frequently, I'd add airbags for when I tow and call it a day.

We have a hybrid camper that I pull with my GX470. I’ve been considering getting a Tundra or Ram Limited with a 5.7 liter…then I started thinking….the 200 series is a 5.7 as well. Would I see a marked improvement in towing power going from the GX470 to a 200? My 2000100 series was a slug due to the different transmission….but once I realized the 200 had the 5.7 liter it gave me hope yo get back into a LC AND be able to tow better than my 4.7 470.

Thoughts??

I upgraded from my LX470 to LX570 primarily for the drivetrain to tow. Marked improvement would be an understatement. The 5.7L is dramatically more capable, whether in the Tundra or 200-series.

My LX470 has the same drivetrain as the GX470, albiet vehicle itself is about 1k lbs heavier. My parents own a GX470 also so I know the family of drivetrain and vehicles well. The 4.7L is good in its own right but I'd say its tops out at about 5k of trailer.

What hybrid camper are towing?

You'll see lots of power and stability improvements with the 200-series chassis. The Tundra has an advantage being incrementally lighter and longer, but probably not a strong discriminator for a hybrid. Agility of the 200-series (while having solid stability) is a huge advantage IMO for the places I visit. I think the biggest variable in the towing calculous (besides body style preference), is the availability of factory 38 gallon tank in the Tundra. Depending on your taste for modification, the 200-series has aftermarket aux tank options in 12.5, 24, or 40 gallon sizes.

Towing Airstream 23D that is about 5.5k lbs, or ~11.5k combined weight. 4.7L VVTI w/5-speed did the deed, but was tapped out for this load.
1647717221580.png

Towing Airstream 27D at 8k lbs. ~15k combined weight. 5.7L still hauls this load with authority.
1647717257521.png

I upgraded from my LX470 to LX570 primarily for the drivetrain to tow. Marked improvement would be an understatement. The 5.7L is dramatically more capable, whether in the Tundra or 200-series.

My LX470 has the same drivetrain as the GX470, albiet vehicle itself is about 1k lbs heavier. My parents own a GX470 also so I know the family of drivetrain and vehicles well. The 4.7L is good in its own right but I'd say its tops out at about 5k of trailer.

What hybrid camper are towing?

You'll see lots of power and stability improvements with the 200-series chassis. The Tundra has an advantage being incrementally lighter and longer, but probably not a strong discriminator for a hybrid. Agility of the 200-series (while having solid stability) is a huge advantage IMO for the places I visit. I think the biggest variable in the towing calculous (besides body style preference), is the availability of factory 38 gallon tank in the Tundra. Depending on your taste for modification, the 200-series has aftermarket aux tank options in 12.5, 24, or 40 gallon sizes.

Towing Airstream 23D that is about 5.5k lbs, or ~11.5k combined weight. 4.7L VVTI w/5-speed did the deed, but was tapped out for this load.
View attachment 2956931

Towing Airstream 27D at 8k lbs. ~15k combined weight. 5.7L still hauls this load with authority.
View attachment 2956932

Oh wow!

We are towing a Jayco X17Z which is 3200lbs dry weight…probably 3500 lbs loaded. The 470 tows it well, but I’d like to be able to not reduce to 45-50mph going up the mountains of NC. We camp 1-2 times a month during season (March-November).

Price wise I’d be looking at a 2014/15 Tundra or a 2010-ish 200. I didn’t realize the Tundra had a 38 gallon tank. The 200 has 22 gallon?

Oh wow!

We are towing a Jayco X17Z which is 3200lbs dry weight…probably 3500 lbs loaded. The 470 tows it well, but I’d like to be able to not reduce to 45-50mph going up the mountains of NC. We camp 1-2 times a month during season (March-November).

Price wise I’d be looking at a 2014/15 Tundra or a 2010-ish 200. I didn’t realize the Tundra had a 38 gallon tank. The 200 has 22 gallon?

The 5.7L will keep whatever speed you're will to burn in fuel going up hills. :)

200-series has a 24.6 gallon tank.

I think earlier 2nd gen Tundras had the 38 gallon as an option, and it may have turned standard at some point.

I have towed with a 2017 tundra and now with a 570 lx 2011. 3500 lbs about the same tongue weight as you. My vehicle is heavy. It tows great. All day over the tundra. I like the tundra but it is hard to a beat a 200 series.

I have a 24’ hybrid camper that I tow with my 2013 LX. I’ve been through the Rockies and the Appalachians and it tows like a dream. My camper weighs 4500 empty.

Late to the party but I tow a 6k# travel trailer at high elevation. TW is around 950#. It towed well before I upgraded springs, but with my high TW I decided to get beefier springs and I added Timbrens.

All that said, it tows well regardless. I do wish I had a bigger gas tank - that's really the only gripe. I have zero sway or instability. I won't argue for more power - the 5.7 is plenty strong on the flat and good enough on a 10k foot pass.

IMG_9286.jpg

Late to the party but I tow a 6k# travel trailer at high elevation. TW is around 950#. It towed well before I upgraded springs, but with my high TW I decided to get beefier springs and I added Timbrens.

All that said, it tows well regardless. I do wish I had a bigger gas tank - that's really the only gripe. I have zero sway or instability. I won't argue for more power - the 5.7 is plenty strong on the flat and good enough on a 10k foot pass.

View attachment 2966658
Nice is that a 23BKS?

We have a 2016 22BHS for going on 7 years. Really happy with it, Had an AS for 9 years before the ORV.

View attachment 2967004
Nice. We bought ours in 2018. We've really been happy with it - have yet to have one single issue. Seems like it'll hold up for a long time.

I have had minimal towing experience with the lx so far but had an 05 gx470 and a small trailer that we used quite a few times and this was fairly light overland type trailer. So far the lx is way better at towing, fuel economy sucks but it was probably worse in the Gx which had about a 120-160 mile range when towing the trailer we had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom