Top bearing caps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Insert F Bomb.

No cold beer.

Hot and humid.

Ok. I'm trying to wrap up my knuckle build and I am having one hell of a time getting my top bearing cap to start. I barely have enough threads to start a nut. I've beat the s*** out of my newly painted caps.

Ant tricks? Doesn't seem like it should be this hard. And I'm gonna cry if I have to remove them to take a shim out and repeat.

77 fj40.

Frustrated. Thanks guys.

Mark

Insert F Bomb.

No cold beer.

Hot and humid.

Ok. I'm trying to wrap up my knuckle build and I am having one hell of a time getting my top bearing cap to start. I barely have enough threads to start a nut. I've beat the s*** out of my newly painted caps.

Ant tricks? Doesn't seem like it should be this hard. And I'm gonna cry if I have to remove them to take a shim out and repeat.

77 fj40.

Frustrated. Thanks guys.

Mark

Is there paint on the mating surfaces? I did the same thing and ended up taking the bottom caps off and using my drift from underneath. Good luck.

No paint on the mating surfaces. And I'm trying to reinstall the caps. I have the bottom started but can't get the top.

Yeah. That worked for me too. But this is a whole nother deal. I dI'd use red 3m scuff pads to smooth everything out. That is all I have done to the bearing caps.

I used the pad on the knuckle itself where the caps insert at both ends and also on the bearing caps.

All koyo bearings.

Just seams to be the passenger side. I tried a test fit before I put the bearings in and it is just damn tight. I know it will drop down in eventually but it's definitely a tighter fit than the drivers side upper cap.

And I haven't tried to do the drivers side yet. Figured I would do one side then the other.

Victory. I just needed some mud therapy.
20160709_170557.jpg

Once I fully tightened my lower cap I was able to get the top on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom