TLCA chapter for MI/OH/IN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't mind talking with some people from an existing chapter, maybe get an idea for effort/benefit payoff

I wouldn't mind helping make it happen as long as I can give it enough time to do it justice. On top of my business now, I am working on being a MUD vendor and producing some Cruiser parts. Just gotta make sure I don't get over my head.

Bout time to plan another meet up anyway, right?

It's October... Oktoberfest at Founder's or Mitten Brewing?

I have permission for 1 weekend a quarter (I'm just not sure if it's to be home or away for 1 weekend a quarter)

I'm in with enough of a lead time.

I was the last office holder for Windy City Land Cruisers. I highly recommend against formal club status. It's a lot of work and it always ends up being done by a couple of people at most. People start out all excited and it doesn't last. Scheduled meetings with formal rules and minutes and such are way less fun than meet and greets and wheeling trips. TLCA sanctioned events don't get you much of anything and come with a bunch of rules and stipulations. That's fine if you are trying to exclude a certain type of wheeler, but the presence or absence of a working parking brake, for instance, has rarely been an indicator of how pleasant it is to spend a day on the trail with someone, or how capable their rig is.
It was important once, before interwebs and forums, to get people together to plan trips and events. It hasn't been needed in 15 years or more.

WCLC goes on a half dozen big wheeling trips a year all over the country and meets frequently and very informally. That works for us. YMMV.

I was the last office holder for Windy City Land Cruisers. I highly recommend against formal club status. It's a lot of work and it always ends up being done by a couple of people at most. People start out all excited and it doesn't last. Scheduled meetings with formal rules and minutes and such are way less fun than meet and greets and wheeling trips. TLCA sanctioned events don't get you much of anything and come with a bunch of rules and stipulations. That's fine if you are trying to exclude a certain type of wheeler, but the presence or absence of a working parking brake, for instance, has rarely been an indicator of how pleasant it is to spend a day on the trail with someone, or how capable their rig is.
It was important once, before interwebs and forums, to get people together to plan trips and events. It hasn't been needed in 15 years or more.

WCLC goes on a half dozen big wheeling trips a year all over the country and meets frequently and very informally. That works for us. YMMV.

Excellent point about the ability to communicate quickly and with more ease now.

I am good without the membership, as long as we keep moving forward with getting together and planning stuff.

That said, I am good with the Saturdays 21st and 28th for sure. Founders is great, or elsewhere in GR, or I can travel farther.

Has anyone ever went north to see the northern lights?? It's on my to do list but never had the opportunity, any suggestions or anyone want to go?

Get as far away from a big city and the lights they throw off in the evening. Which isn’t hard to do up here. Pigeon River State Forest. Great two tracks. First come first serve primitive camping. Rivers if you like to fish. Lakes too. Or maybe north of Northport to the Leelanau State Park at the tip of Leelanau County. Camping, Lake Mich, San - what’s not to love. Then you are close enough to me to swing through for a beer.

My Dad has been involved in Nissan Z Clubs in Indiana and Illinois. They are struggling to hold these groups together. With the advent of social media these kinds of things really suffer I believe. Anything grassroots like this or the PTO or whatever will always exist by a few very dedicated individuals and then a bunch of takers. Eventually the person with the highest drive and dedication burns out or moves on or sells their cruiser or collector car and the thing folds over night. That's is why I kind of backed off on this, partly due to distance but mostly because of the effort involved.

Gumby, are any of the Hoosier Cruiser folks still around at all?

The bulk of them don't wheel anymore. The ones that do are on the WCLC board

Yea, kind a figured. ive always been a grassroots sport guy. That pretty much means its a hobby. People come and go a lot.

Get as far away from a big city and the lights they throw off in the evening. Which isn’t hard to do up here. Pigeon River State Forest. Great two tracks. First come first serve primitive camping. Rivers if you like to fish. Lakes too. Or maybe north of Northport to the Leelanau State Park at the tip of Leelanau County. Camping, Lake Mich, San - what’s not to love. Then you are close enough to me to swing through for a beer.

In Traverse City next week but in the wifes Pathfinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom