TLC on UsedVictoria thread... (ongoing) (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Aussie bosses say they prefer the hatch. The window frame of the doors are all you can see out the rear view mirror, big blind spot backing up apparently.
Yeah, but right below that is trailer ball. So blind spot be damned. All I see generally out rear window is assholes with poorly adjusted LEDs or, who cares, it’s behind me. Far nicer access and I agree single stage opening is more user friendly.

I’m with you guys I like em to, If I had some I would rock them.

The only way I can see that they make things easier is not having to blow your back out lifting over the width of the down tailgate, also climbing into the back if you needed to for some reason.

Presemably it’s the same number of steps if your loading/unloading the back you will have to unlatch the one door open it then unlatch the other door same as opening the hatch letting it pop up then unlatching the tailgate and letting it fall down.

Having a trailer on that hitch is exactly why I like having a good unobstructed view. Backed a trailer out of Seapotato’s driveway the other day. Wasn't bad but would have been a lot more difficult if I could see even less, guess you could always just blame the beers if his bushes and trees got mowed down.

One other nice thing about the hatch and tailgate is the hatch up blocks some rain and the tailgate is a perfect workbench/countertop/seat and hopefully some day soon a storage compartment. The doors should have been a 60/40 split offset so they didn’t block visibility.

That's why I like the 70 series doors. They are split about 60/40.
With my 60 to put s*** in the back I open tire carrier, open hatch, then open tailgate and then put s*** in the back. Then reverse the steps. Pain in the ass.
With 70, open door, put s*** in the back. Close door.

Of course like all Japanese vehicles in North America the back doors are split the wrong way. Big door is on the right.
Like my wife's Honda CRV, the door is hung on the right hand side so if you parallel park and open the door you have to go completely around it from the sidewalk , before you can put anything in the back.

I think that's why Toyota likes its tailgates and hatches. They're ambidextrous so it doesn't matter which side of the road people are driving on in whatever country.

Even the newer Honda CRVs have hatches now I think and I bet it's probably for the same reason.

Still prefer barn doors tho :lol:

For all this backing up stuff...mirrors. Now for one retro mod would be electric folding mirror housings for
in the bush.

These are not really my cup of tea. But seems some people on these forums like them a lot.

These are not really my cup of tea. But seems some people on these forums like them a lot.

From what I've seen the new generation, who drive Tundras and FJ's have taken the attitude that fuel mileage doesn't matter at all. Period.
They want all the bells and whistles and aren't interested in lack of any form of modern convenience or comfort - And they have enough
money to do it. So from my perspective it's not a matter of the money/mileage any more - they don't care. There is no status is diesel economy.
They're fabulous off road, the suspension is second to none. Rear view visibility is awful! I still think 'CUT THE ROOF OFF'!

Half tempting actually....not sure why....

Half tempting actually....not sure why....

Cause running with a clutch, easy $3400

Cool diesel mini truck:

Almost worth the trip out there. Not as rusty looking as most BJ70's I've seen.

Almost worth the trip out there. Not as rusty looking as most BJ70's I've seen.

I think these Canadian BJ70's are going to be the next BJ42 in terms of rarity. Only going to go up in value.

@cruiserpilot : could travel out in the tundra, rent a car dolly, and pull this thing back to BC. :steer: Although that HZJ75 has me wondering also....

I think these Canadian BJ70's are going to be the next BJ42 in terms of rarity. Only going to go up in value.

@cruiserpilot : could travel out in the tundra, rent a car dolly, and pull this thing back to BC. :steer: Although that HZJ75 has me wondering also....
I’ve already figured package deal. Both for $6K. But I’m out of time and money. Someone pays fuel and time,
I’d go to Manitoba. But tandem trailer.
I’m not hauling anything on a dolly across the prairies again. Nothing like the tail wagging the tail wagging the dog on black ice to ensure wide awakeness and finger impressions on the steering wheel

That's actually making me smile 😃

I bet those horns would scare the crap out of you.

Don't see these very often.

1970 toyota box trailer

01111_8OgTnGg6bDJz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom