TJM Knockoff snorkel fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, other than the aesthetic differences (doesn't travel as far forward externally) are there any functional differences between the TJM-like style and the knock-offs on eBay, that already have the antenna notch and have a stamped/embossed Land Cruiser logo? (I have to admit, had to laugh at that "Powerful" logo). I'm trying to understand why all the trouble with getting a TJM-like snorkel. I mean, other than the cool factor, which it would have... :cool:

Okay, other than the aesthetic differences (doesn't travel as far forward externally) are there any functional differences between the TJM-like style and the knock-offs on eBay, that already have the antenna notch and have a stamped/embossed Land Cruiser logo? (I have to admit, had to laugh at that "Powerful" logo). I'm trying to understand why all the trouble with getting a TJM-like snorkel. I mean, other than the cool factor, which it would have... :cool:

I think you're asking the difference between the TJM style and safari style (or their knock off counterparts)? It's all aesthetic except the TJM requires removal of the antenna for internal routing of the hose. The TJM just look better as it hugs the A-pillar all the way up and doesn't habe a big, protruding head.

I guess you could try and argue the TJM is higher so more protective for water, but you're going to have othe issues above the safari style anyway. Mainly drowning.

As far as dust, the TJM is a tiny bit higher but not enough to create a significant difference in the amount of dust captured.

I could potentially see the TJM allowing more water in during large storms because of its intake location just above the windshield where water flows when driving and using the wipers.

Answering question about quality - plastic seems very thick, embedded nuts seem good - very faint speckling in the source plastic, not pure black but only visible at very close inspection. Not sure if that would equate to a longevity issue? The grill is secured via rivets and one is not perfect - if I keep I would drill out and replace. I have not yet test-fit or even unbagged the bolts and such - trying to decide on whether to send back and waiting to hear back from the seller on the logo issue.

Update - after complaining to them they offered to reimburse me $6 and not bother sending it back because shipping was too high.

<ok, you done laughing now?>

I've replied back that I'd like either one with no logo, of a refund. Also suggested if they HAD to put somethign on there, to put a TEQ;) Will let you know what they say...

Could you possibly place it against the truck prior to returning to see how well if fits against the body? I dont like the logo but do like the scoop design vs. the standard one. Logo can be dealt with but overall fitment would be a different story. Thanks.

anything further on this?

I pulled the trigger on one, maybe I'll just paint the logo red so everyone can read it :)

Last edited:
Without looking at this thread, I bit the bullet and had one shipped where I currently am (Honduras, C.A.) so shipping back is not an option. Just like 10 minutes ago, I went ahead with a dremmel type tool and took out all the lettering!

Im posting pictures of it.

My plan is to have a Land Cruiser sticker made with the Land Cruiser words. Im thinking a black sticker with gray letters in such a way where it wont be too offensive to read.

To answer some questions posted before, in my opinion, it doesnt make the area where the letters are noticeable thinner. To be honest, I could barely see the difference on the back. So sanding them seems ok.

With regards to fitment, Im not there yet. The instructions are limited to a long page with the placement of the holes, but no written instructions at all.

It would be neat if someone here has a genuine JTM install instructions to compare them and see if it is exactly the same.

Currently, I still need to sand it to smoothen the surface to be ready for a vinyl sticker.

I will let you know how it goes.

Hopes this helps!!!

IMG_20170718_144640 sm.jpg

IMG_20170718_144657sm.jpg

IMG_20170718_144708sm.jpg

@bj40man good job, like the sticker idea over the approach I was going to take of bedliner - much simpler.

mine continues to gather dust as I try to get a million things done - with HIH coming up there's a good bet you'll beat me to the install. I never found any of those TJM instructions you are also asking for, best I have is this pic of their a-pillar mount, if that helps:
airtec install inside.jpg

After installing a snorkel on my FJ62 and looking at this one install seems pretty similar. Tape the template down well, drill *pilot* holes on the fender, take off, drill out the smaller holes and cut the large one. I think they included self-tapping screws for the pillar bracket but on my other ebay snorkel install I drilled pilots and then some SS screws with silicone and a star washer to keep from loosening / tossed the galvy junk.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks a lot Cruzer Dave,

Im still having second thoughts on whether to install it or not... need to think it through a bit more to decide to drill holes on the fender!!

Just ordered one off eBay for $63 shipped. I'll post pics and info of my install :)

Looking forward to more info on this, I'll probably pull the trigger on this or a safari style snorkel this year. I probably wouldn't get it with the "Power ful" thing on it, that's wretched and I wouldn't want to go to whatever trouble it took to eliminate that, given that I wouldn't have to with the generic safari style ones.

Lol. Hey, what's wrong with advertising that your truck is "powerful" with its new snorkel? Haha. Funny how anal we are about this...spend some time on any of the ricer forums and they spend half their $$$ on silly "Type R" decals.

Lol. Hey, what's wrong with advertising that your truck is "powerful" with its new snorkel? Haha. Funny how anal we are about this...spend some time on any of the ricer forums and they spend half their $$$ on silly "Type R" decals.
Haha, I've spent enough time on the wrx forums to know that each sticker adds 5hp! Maybe if I didn't get passed by old ladies on scooters I'd feel "power ful. "

Last edited:
And this came in the mail today. Pics coming:

IMG_8531.JPG

Mine is expected this week :) POWER FUL

IMG_8532.JPG
IMG_8533.JPG
IMG_8534.JPG
IMG_8536.JPG
IMG_8537.JPG

So I've only drilled pilot holes today. My daughter managed to get a hold of my template and tear it, then she was trying to help me "build" the snorkel...so it was slow going today. Anyway, the template doesn't fit my fender very well. So I'm guessing and somewhat going in blind on where to line up what. It's ok, my fender has tree damage so I'm ok hacking it up. I did notice that the antenna will likely interfere with installation...I removed mine long ago... That being said, hopefully tomorrow I'll make this happen.
IMG_8546.JPG
IMG_8549.JPG
IMG_8550.JPG
IMG_8551.JPG
IMG_8552.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, so this thing is NOT plug and play. The short snorkel elbow does not fit in the narrow space behind the fender. So the hole needs to actually be drilled a little larger to fit the elbow flange through to the out side of the fender. Not cool because I already drilled the hole. It's dremel tool time. Arg. Also, I had to remove this resonator piece behind the fender to have room to work. This thing doesn't seal against the filter elbow tube very tight. They are basically just nested together with some foam. But the silicone tube they send with the kit is just a couple of inches short of replacing that resonator tube, so I'm stuck on that front too. I'd like to just eliminate that boxy resonator and just run the silicone hose. It would seal better. So I'm exploring options. Going to make it work, but this is turning into a lot more work than I anticipated.
IMG_8562.JPG
IMG_8563.JPG
IMG_8565.JPG
IMG_8566.JPG
IMG_8567.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom