Tires for SCC (light) wheeling. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been thinking about tires for my 100. I was planning on keeping the factory rims. The three sizes I was looking at are 285/75 (32.8x11.2), 295/75 (33.4x11.6) & 255/85 (33.1x10). If I had 7 inches rims I would get the 255's. The 295's have very limited selection so the 285's are a good choice. Today I came across a set of used tundra rims with Cooper ZCon ZTZs size 275/70/18 (33.2x10.8). I like tall and skinny so my question is will the two inches less of sidewall make a big difference offroad? The LC rims are forged aluminum not sure about the tundra rims. What should I do?

Ole Colony said:
I have been thinking about tires for my 100. I was planning on keeping the factory rims. The three sizes I was looking at are 285/75 (32.8x11.2), 295/75 (33.4x11.6) & 255/85 (33.1x10). If I had 7 inches rims I would get the 255's. The 295's have very limited selection so the 285's are a good choice. Today I came across a set of used tundra rims with Cooper ZCon ZTZs size 275/70/18 (33.2x10.8). I like tall and skinny so my question is will the two inches less of sidewall make a big difference offroad? The LC rims are forged aluminum not sure about the tundra rims. What should I do?

I don't think the 2 inches of width would matter much on the trail. I ran the 33 10.50's on my 40's I like the tall skinny look with the hubcaps. Not familiar with the cooper tires are planning to have a set for the street and a separate set on the Tundra wheels for the trails? :)

Last edited:
Footwork said:
Worked great! Could've/should've went bigger, next set I will. Have no complaints about the grip though.

I thought they did great, the extra clearance would help I guess when you have 381 ponies under the hood you don't have to worry about lugging or regearing as much :)

Larry the Cooper look like your nittos. The height is difference is about 1/2 inch but the side wall height is two inches less. 16 inch rims to 18 inch rims is it noticeable on the trail?

Larry the Cooper look like your nittos. The height is difference is about 1/2 inch but the side wall height is two inches less. 16 inch rims to 18 inch rims is it noticeable on the trail?

Gotcha, I'd say no not enough to make a big difference but what do I know I still have 16's and not a fan of the big wheel fad sweeping the nation :meh: of course more sidewall and less rim means you have the taller sidewalls that keep your rims from getting banged up especially on those rocky trails.

Last edited:
i agree larry thats one reason i went down to 16s on my fj i had the 17s stock then went up 18s no back down 16s , and most tires are cheeper for 16s

i agree larry thats one reason i went down to 16s on my fj i had the 17s stock then went up 18s no back down 16s , and most tires are cheeper for 16s

:) another good point Jon I heard the same thing the 17/18/20 inch tires are much more expensive than the 15/16 tires in similar sizes :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom