Tires for SCC (light) wheeling. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, so lostinafog will be putting on my Slee sliders and OME suspension next week. I was able to get the days off for the SCC. Question is do I need to change the tires I have on the rig now. They are Bridgestone Dueller 684II. Told my wife I needed to upgrade, but she's cool to the idea.
I'm not going halfway through Arkansas just to camp.Will these tires be enough or do I need to upgrade before the trip?

Depends on what you mean by light wheeling. That is a highway all season tire and will handle most of the easy trails but will not serve you well on the moderate stuff. Also, be warned that Hot Springs can be hard on your tires. Thin sidewalls can be damaged and the sharp rock will cut them up a bit. My $.02 would be to try to pick up a set of used wheeling treads and save your street tires.

What size are you looking to run after the lift?

perhaps find a set of used tires & rims for trail keep these for the rest of the time.

I'm sure Tundra rims would fit. Master plan is to put the m/t's on the factory rims and get some aftermarket rims with the highway tires

The current generation tundra rims are 5 hole. They do fit the 100 series however. My shop neighbor supplies most of south Louisiana with used tires. 275/70 r 18 are common on newer 3/4 ton trucks and he will put some on the side to make a matching set. The ones I have seen in his shop look like they have less than 10,000 miles on them. They are more of a road tire but are 10 ply. He sells them for $32.00 installed.

That's awesome to hear your gonna get to make it :clap: If you can score some tundra wheels that would be great to have a set of trail shoes and street shoes :D Daryl knows the place as good as most and has guided many of folks out there so I know he's seen a lot of combinations run out there. What I found great about Hot Springs is that you get good traction when its wet or dry. We had a member in a 100 series on some street tires that went most every place we went out there. It certainly surprised him and a few others. If it don't work out for you to get the other set of wheels and tires before you leave you will still have a great time guaranteed :)

The current generation tundra rims are 5 hole. They do fit the 100 series however. My shop neighbor supplies most of south Louisiana with used tires. 275/70 r 18 are common on newer 3/4 ton trucks and he will put some on the side to make a matching set. The ones I have seen in his shop look like they have less than 10,000 miles on them. They are more of a road tire but are 10 ply. He sells them for $32.00 installed.

Thats a great deal :)

It's kinda related. With my 62, the first day I hadn't aired down. Now i've got some Procomp Xterrains, which have ... well here is a pic..

They were perfect loooking before the trip, and after they had chunks missing(small but some of the knobs were ripped off). the second day, actually aired down, I probably still got some, but i think the tire conformed more, and didn't act as a hard wall, that didn't budge.

Just my view. but Stocked that you can make it.. :D

Thanks
Cody

IMG_4487.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

Street tires aired down at the park do work. BUT naturally not as well as mud tires (This park is not MOAB with unlimited traction) That being said I would not let street threads be a deterrent for not wheeling or making a trip to the park. The rocks up there are sharp and do tear rubber chunks from the grip pattern in most case, not bad , but it is to be expected.

I do not believe anyone in the club has lost or cut any sidewalls and not been able to make the return trip home (not spinning the tires violently in loose rocks will reduce cuts to the side walls,… somewhat)
Aggressive or street tire come on to the park is great!

Last edited:
what he said? :D

oh! yea tyres any will work as long as they hold air

Got a line on some Nitto Trails 285/65/r18 looking to install before SCC.

Good looking tire that's gonna be nice :clap: I have their AT's on all our vehicles and have been very pleased with them on and off the pavement :)

nitto_trailgrapplermt_bsw_386x386.jpg

Footwork said:
You have the Terras? Been flip-flopping between the two.

I sure do I had them on the 80 first because I was driving it long distances to the events like Tennessee and Arkansas and wheeling it so I needed a good compromise they ride great on the HWY and when aired down do well enough with the lockers to do well on the trails. When in muddy conditions you have to spin your way through but I avoid the mud where I can. I liked them so much I put them on the wife's and most recently on my Dodge as well :) Brian has the Wrangler Duratrac's on his 80 which is his daily driver and seems to have a much more aggressive pattern and still decent road manners not sure how loud they are on the road.

image-2413170745.jpg

image-1237640006.jpg

Last edited:
Alright. I wanna go with the 285/65R18 Terra Grapplers. Now I need help selling to my wife. Any suggestions? Times ticking...ticking...

You'll buy her a 250$ necklace if she lets you spend your money on your rig. Might work.

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Alright. I wanna go with the 285/65R18 Terra Grapplers. Now I need help selling to my wife. Any suggestions? Times ticking...ticking...

night out, flowers, gift card to a spa:)

this is not a select one by the way:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom