Timing cover help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Threads
38
Messages
316
Location
Tampa, FL
I’m in the middle of a build (Bridger 62 build) and front engine maintenance. I’ve never done a timing cover gasket on a LC. The crankshaft pulley came off surprising easy - the shaft was a little damp w oil but I hadn’t noticed any leaks. This is one of those “while you are in there” jobs. Got the timing cover off - it was stuck in there pretty well which leads me to this. I think it was previously sealed with a lot of FIPG over the cork gasket. In some areas I can see a little cork. But they are adherent together and to the front of the engine/timing plate. I got a razor to see if it would peel off and it chips off and leaves residual. Wouldn’t be a big deal if I had it out and could get some tools on it - but it’s almost touching the crankshaft gears so I’m worried about dropping bits of hardened FIPG behind the timing gears or all over them. Attached pic.

Should I try a chemical gasket remover to soften it? Plastic putty knife? I noticed little gouges where I used the razor on the mating surface in a small spot so not excited about just using a screwdriver and some muscle.

Second question - here is my crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer. It has a single line gouge and rubber in back isn’t looking good. Gouge is light - barely can catch my finger nail on it. Pics attached. Do I need a new one? I know 3pulley HBs are NLA and some use dual pulley with an extender or used ones.

Thanks in advance. No idea how people do this sh*t without a forum like this when they run into issues.

IMG_2762.webp


IMG_2761.webp


IMG_2763.webp
 
FIPG works great, but as you see, it's a bear to remove. You can use a chemical softener. They do work, if you follow the directions. You can get a gasket scrapper that uses plastic razors to avoid gouging. Don't worry about getting bits behind the gears. Just use some break cleaner or compressed air gun to blow things out when you're done.

I think Autozone and Amazon have a Permatex 'Safety Scraper' that comes with plastic razors. Home Depot has some, too. They work well when the gasket is pliant.

You can get a 'Speedi Sleeve' for the HB if you're worried about it leaking. Otherwise, you can position the seal either deeper or a little shallow in the cover so it rides on a different spot on the HB snout. I believe it's Speedi-Sleeve (SKF) Part # 99177 - Buy VERIFY for your application.

Remember, when you reinstall the cover, leave the bolts loose until you install the HB, so it 'Centers' around the HB snout. Off-center wears both the seal and snout quickly.

HTH and Good Luck!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Will do and report back.

I was worried since there is an oil nozzle I assume there are small oil passages to allow the oil to return to the crankcase - figured it wouldn’t take much of this small hard FIPG to block those. Hoping gasket softener will help a lot with that since it is chipping off now instead of peeling off.
 
@cliffrdavis

I took another look at that HB picture above - The elastomeric center looks like it's starting to come apart. You might want to inspect it closely or have it inspected by a place that rebuilds HBs and perhaps re-vulcanized.

If those HBs come apart at speed, it cooks your crankshaft.

There's the 'Damper Doctor' in Redding CA but since you're in FL, and fairly close to @cruisermatt - Maybe he knows of a place or has a good used one for sale?
 
2 thigs to be cautious about:

the bolts around the timing cover are specific to their location, they need to be re-installed where they came out of

be gentle when installing the seal in the cover, the cover can be damaged by brute force
 
Thanks guys. None of my local stores had the gasket remover so plan to start this weekend. Guess I’m going to put a bead of FIPG on the outside of the gasket and “A” bolts/holes.

As for the HB given the gouge and rubber dry rot I bought a new two groove HB. Hoping I can just separate the third pulley which is supposed to be easily removable on the 3FE HB. Will paint and bolt back up.
 
what 2 groove HB did you buy?
IIRC the 3FE HB is different in how the outer pulley bolts to it
a 2 groove 3FE is not the same as an older 2F 2 groove
6? bolts hold the outer pulley to the main pulley
 
I bought the 3FE two groove pulley - Cruiser corps. I understand the 2F has a different diameter and older ones had rivets.

Sometimes these “while you’re in there” jobs turn bigger than the original job! But it’s 36 years old and doesn’t look like any of this has been done so might as well get it ready for another 100k miles!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom