Timing Belt Service Done - I think the price was fair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would buy that service manager a bottle of booze for a XMAS present. You got hooked up.

I had to go back and look at my receipt but it cost me $935 for the timing belt, serpentine, water pump, upper and lower hoses, coolant refill, tune-up with valve adjust and new iridium plugs, + Mobil 1 oil change and complete lube. (at an indie shop in Santa Clarita, CA) That was two years ago though @95,000 miles. I recall my water pump looking good with no leaks on the outside but it was nearly shot on its innards.

Now you are getting me worried. How do you know the innards were nearly shot?

My water pump wasnt leaking when I brought it in and had them do the belt with pump. Then it was leaking due to a incompetent tech working on it. I brought it back for a free re-do by the tech I had originally wanted to do it and it seems to be holding up now for 30k+

Now you are getting me worried. How do you know the innards were nearly shot?

The tech showed it to me. Full of crusty stuff and when he spun the shaft you could hear it clunk (like when the bearings of a bicycle wheel go bad). He said it would might have been fine for another 5-10 thousand miles in normal service or for a few hundred if towing up the grapevine in the dead of summer. In the end though, I just have to take his word for it and considering the number of times he's talked me out of service that he did not think I needed I figure he's not after my money so much as my business.

water pump seals can and do fail catastrophically (the carbon sealing ring just breaks into pieces. You will loose the entire coolant fill in about 30 seconds) More often they start seeping and gradually get worse. But the deterioration MAY be quick--minutes, not months.

If it is leaking, prudent thing is to replace it. Aluminum engines do NOT like coolant loss and resulting extreme overheating. Temperature warning light may not even come on.

It is very unlikely the first tech did anything wrong. The pump was bad, just hanging by a thread

It sounds like you got a very good deal on your service. At 90K, we had the timing belt, water pump, pully seals, drive belt, and coolant and all fluids (engine, tranny, transfer case and diffs) changed out for $800 at one of our local indy toyota shops. The quote from the dealer was a good $400 more than that.

After 100k, particularly where the water pump is located, I'd have opted for a new one.

It sounds like you got a very good deal on your service. At 90K, we had the timing belt, water pump, pully seals, drive belt, and coolant and all fluids (engine, tranny, transfer case and diffs) changed out for $800 at one of our local indy toyota shops. The quote from the dealer was a good $400 more than that.

After 100k, particularly where the water pump is located, I'd have opted for a new one.

Which shop did this around Atlanta?

old post but I just got a quote from my Toyota Dealership in Anchorage.....sit down for this one. $ 1,800 :mad:

This is for the timing belt, water pump and other BS inspections. I have had the timing belt service along with inspections done for my Tacoma and its always less than $400. WTF

To make matters worse the manifolds leak on both sides and they said it would cost an additional $1,900 to fix that. :confused: might as well buy a new truck for those raping prices.

Pissed in Alaska

old post but I just got a quote from my Toyota Dealership in Anchorage.....sit down for this one. $ 1,800 :mad:

This is for the timing belt, water pump and other BS inspections. I have had the timing belt service along with inspections done for my Tacoma and its always less than $400. WTF

To make matters worse the manifolds leak on both sides and they said it would cost an additional $1,900 to fix that. :confused: might as well buy a new truck for those raping prices.

Pissed in Alaska

Makes a new garage to do your own work in sound pretty affordable.

Might try this thread...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/276453-anchorage-alaska-help.html

Last edited:
So with the temperatures rising with summertime I am definitely noticing higher coolant temps in my Hundy. Driving at highway speed I routinely see the temp gauge graze the half way mark where before it was always way below half way.

I called Toyota today to schedule a checkup as they were the ones who just two months ago recommended against replacing the water pump. We'll see....

I bought my OEM parts online, then had a retired Master Service Tech do the install at his independent shop.

I think the total was just under $700 for the parts (TB, serp, WP, and I think cam and crank seals too - but those may have been on the 4runner, can't recall) plus the labor for everything. I did it in 07 (7yrs) at 83k miles. The belt was "OK" but somewhat tired and had hairline cracks from age - not much "wear" though.

For that price, I definitely would have spend the extra $200 on the water pump while they had it torn down. Better safe than a $8k-engine-replacement-sorry.

Lexus Dealer vs Professional Toyo shop

For my 04 LX 470 I called the Lexus dealer to get a quote on: new Timing Belt, New Water Pump, New Serpentine Belt, New Long life coolant.- $1,722. Call the best and higly recommended Toyota Shop (non-mfg)- and it was $701. The worst part was that the Lexus dealer was trying to talk me out of doing the water pump "unless it was leaking" and the belt "unless it was showing cracks. I'll take all the new stuff and $1,000...and buy a vowl.

For my 04 LX 470 I called the Lexus dealer to get a quote on: new Timing Belt, New Water Pump, New Serpentine Belt, New Long life coolant.- $1,722. Call the best and higly recommended Toyota Shop (non-mfg)- and it was $701. The worst part was that the Lexus dealer was trying to talk me out of doing the water pump "unless it was leaking" and the belt "unless it was showing cracks. I'll take all the new stuff and $1,000...and buy a vowl.

I'LL be lookin for the same thing in 40K miles. I will also not use Lexus. Good info.

Here in NC, I have had quotes from $1200-$1600 -- including independents. May be cheaper for me to drive to a different location, spend the night and drive home!

So I finally reached 90k and took it by the highly recommended shop that quoted my over the phone earlier, and get this, he told me once he plugged it all in his system he would go lower on the price. I was already willing to pay $700. Everything new toyota parts (not recond) in the quote above for $568.

So I added a new Interstate Megatron battery (mine tested marginal and I could tell) for $89 and with tax I'm out the door for $689. Went back to their shop and it was so clean. I've found my Puddy (for Seinfeild fans)

This guy has my business as long as I have an import. BTW, that battery...other place down the street sells for $149 (Retail is $139).

Damn. Pretty good find if you're satisfied with their work.

I can't imagine it could leak badly so suddenly that it would become a serious concern for the engine. Somebody know?

I have seen weep holes become gushers the minute the engine was turned off. While running it would only weep a little, then shut it off and here comes the flood.

A 'slightly leaking' water pump may last a very very long time, or may fail completely in the next mile. If the carbon sealing ring cracks up, it can dump the entire system contents in about 10 seconds!. Had them do it both ways on various vehicles. IF the pump has had a tiny seep from early in its life, probably good for a long time to go--if the bearings are tight. Any play in the bearings call for replace while accessible.

Contrary to common wisdom, the WP seal IS NOT perfect and IS supposed to weep a tiny bit of liquid. That is what the weep hole is for--to direct that weepage away from the bearings.The tiny weepage keeps the sealing face lubricated, cooled, and clean. Other wise, coolant would slowly 'evaporate' on the seal face, leaving abrasive deposits which would cause wear and failure.

So I finally reached 90k and took it by the highly recommended shop that quoted my over the phone earlier, and get this, he told me once he plugged it all in his system he would go lower on the price. I was already willing to pay $700. Everything new toyota parts (not recond) in the quote above for $568.

So it was $100 more afterall, he forgot the water pump cost. Still a great deal and I check it all out and it all looks great. Even the battery install was done great with anti corrision coating on the terminals. Anyone in Oklahoma should head to Metric Motors and speak to Bryan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom