Tie Rod/TRE ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a lot of play in my steering so I was just doing my homework checking around and reading the forums. When I looked at my tie rod and tie rod ends, I noticed that it was quite easy to grab hold of the tie rod and turn it, exposing the ball. Also make a clicking sound when I do this when driving. duh.. So, I was wondering if it's normal to have that much play. Should be an easy fix but just wondering how high of a priority it should or if it's a safety concern. I've attached pictures. 1st is with the tie rod twisted toward the firewall and 2nd is with it twisted away from firewall. Note: you can see the ball exposed in 2nd pic.

BTW, I'm a newbie so take it easy on me if this is an easy one! TieRod#1.jpg TieRod#2.jpg

Replace em. Those look to be well worn. While you are at it, inspect the rag joint for wear as well. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the entire steering system looking for slop. Replace those items that add slop to your system and you will tighten up your steering considerably.

:cheers:

X2. Mine didn't look that loose when I replaced them a few months ago. You'll be glad you did!

I had probably 4in of play in my steering, I replaced my rag joint and TRE's and now it's down to about 1 in. Hardly that noticeable. It looked like the steering box was at culprit for it before doing all that. It will feel so much better when you change that old stuff out.

alrighty... im on it

Replace! Make sure you look at everything else to!

Well, a buddy and I turned wheel and looked for slop and it appears most of it is in the steering box. Rag joint looks ok but I've posted a pic in case you can tell.

RagJoint.jpg

Adjusting steering box play is a piece of cake. Only trick is taking the slop out without over tightening it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom