Tie Rod End Replacement Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, you don't think the cotter pin hole will be exposed when the nut is tightened with the shim is installed?
That's my concern. But, based on the vast knowledge here and my limited knowledge, I'll go ahead and assemble it and see.

I'll check back in after, it'll probably be this weekend.
 
Got after it today. I made a "vice" to set the shims after gently milling out the tapers with a 7 degree reamer. It cleaned up all of the rust and got it back to round. Using the vice I set the shims.
20240517_220237849_iOS.jpg

20240517_222452315_iOS2.jpg


Then I set the TREs and tightened them up. They sank in and are flush with the top of the castle nuts.
20240517_221334987_iOS.jpg


Tomorrow I'll reposition the truck so I can set the alignment and get her back on the road.

More to come. Thanks all.
 
Alignment complete.

She drives in a straight line now! (Before the steering was so loose it was more like driving a school bus and the steering wheel was merely "suggesting" where to go.)
20240519_163045313_iOS.webp


While I was laid up from my surgery during all this I took the time to refinish the hard top. She's nice and shiny and water tight now.
20240519_185239262_iOS.webp


Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Matt
 
I need to buy a pair of shims for my fj40 project with 60 knuckles. Who makes and sells a good pair?
 
We offer a great option:

I talked to Bryce yesterday. Your shipping fees for the least expensive method is $12.00. The part weighs less than several ounces and is very small. I bought one from you with an order last week to save on shipping. I thought $21.95 was for two. Anyway, $12.00 for shipping just 4 hours away seems pretty steep for such a very small item.
 
I talked to Bryce yesterday. Your shipping fees for the least expensive method is $12.00. The part weighs less than several ounces and is very small. I bought one from you with an order last week to save on shipping. I thought $21.95 was for two. Anyway, $12.00 for shipping just 4 hours away seems pretty steep for such a very small item.

Sorry for the confusion, they are very much sold individually as advertised on the website

Screenshot_20260925_122039_Chrome.webp


While we've not had a common issue with customers getting confused on this part, we always welcome suggestions on how we can prevent event a single person confusing the quantities needed.

As for the shipping, the site pulls from UPS and USPS (Priority Mail only) rates. Unfortunately we've had minimal luck with any lower dollar options that don't leave you more frustrated and us out of $ (additional emails/calls about this part) or parts that are missing and uninsured by USPS. Hell, I think $12 to take anything from Utah to Idaho is a bargain. USPS Retail rate is $12.90 for a small flat rate envelope. We've now spent $50 of each other's time via the phone, email and forum time 😀
 
It's apparent you're under informed on the current costs of shipping. Based upon USPS rates, Kurt is passing through shipping without any handling charges.

I suppose you could avoid the $12.00 fee if you drove down to Utah and visited the pick up window..

View attachment 4218729
I guess I’m spending more time building rigs than checking shipping rates. I shipped several pounds of fj40 parts to a mud member in Sacramento, ca several months ago via UPS. It cost only $24.00. My frustration is the shim is so small but shipping is half the cost of the part…
 
Hell; I feel I’m out $5 just reading another thread about how high USPS shipping prices are! 🤣
If you are calculating the time on mud, that’s a waste of time in itself… we all come here to learn…
 
@cruiseroutfit
I guess I’m spending more time building rigs than checking shipping rates. I shipped several pounds of fj40 parts to a mud member in Sacramento, ca several months ago via UPS. It cost only $24.00. My frustration is the shim is so small but shipping is half the cost of the part…
Note to Kurt:

It appears you are not charging enough for these little shims. I suggest you consider raising the price to $75 each, thus making the shipping charge less painful.

Alternatively, charge $41.95 each and state, "FREE PRIORITY SHIPPING!!!!!"
 
I just checked UPS Idaho to SLC. Damn it’s expensive to ship just a wedding ring. $12.00.
 
Back
Top Bottom