tie rod end question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i looked through the search but still scrtching my head here. Gone through three different marlin fj80 tie rod ends and am starting to wonder what is the next stronest thing and how may i get there cheaply. Is it the chevy one tons and how do i ream out the marlin arms and i guess reusing the high steer rods is out of the question. Basically just looking on how to upgrade if there is a way. Oh yeah 1987 fj60 350 and 39.5 iroks.

thanks all

Bryon

am i just out to left field with this question. just want to know if the chevies are any stronger or am i wasting my time or are rod ends any better or just stick with what i have and get used to replacing them

thanks for your time

Bryon

I seem to wear out FJ80 ends too. I researched chevy TREs and was going to go that route (seems to me they are stronger than the fj80 stuff) but ended up going with heims (rod ends). I only did the tierod so far and now have the other fj80 joints on the draglink starting to loosen up.

The chev ones are no stronger than factory toyota ones . Try some from toyota before you switch .

The chev ones are no stronger than factory toyota ones . Try some from toyota before you switch .

What are you basing this on?

I've worn out three sets of chev one tons in the same amount of time as one set of factory toyota ones have lasted . But then again maybe I just got three bad batches of chevy ones . If I remember right two sets were moog , can't remember the other brand but I myself will not use them again . I'd use heims in a double shear set-up first .

There are a lot of crappy TRE's out there.

I have seen the Chevy TRE's go over 100K easily.

Spherical rod ends IMHO are for a 90% off road only truck. And double shear if you possibly can.

ok final thought here should i just suck up the fj80 ends it is after all bout 90% off road or fork over the bucks for rod ends. Also keep in mind the misses is already fed up with me spending money on the beast.

thanks all

Bryon

You ever look to see if there is something wearing out the TRE's prematurely?

Poor angles? Lack of lubrication?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom