1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on this electric heater

Discussion in 'Workshop and Home Improvement' started by sean2202, Dec 5, 2017.

1. sean2202

sean2202

I am looking at this heater on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A6H1IS/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
    Does anyone have this one or a similar model that you recommend? I have approx 600sf to heat that is insulated.
    I will be running new electric lines for the heater install.

I would like to use electric as propane tanks are not feasible in this area and wood is not an option at this time.

Thanks for any help or recomondations.

2. ferg

ferg

How much is a 7500w heater going to cost to run?

3. sean2202

sean2202

Good question. I will probably keep it about 40-45 degrees unless I am working in the garage for the day then need 55 or so.

4. thebigredrocker

thebigredrocker SILVER Star

That heater will be more than enough. I ran a 4000w “hot one” from Home Depot in my 1000 sq ft insulated garage for 10 years. It’s 240v and was able to maintain temps of 65+ if so desired. I believe the bearing was failing on the fan motor so I’m now using a heater made by King.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    sean2202 likes this.
  5. swelltimes

swelltimes SILVER Star

@sean2202, I've been doing a lot of similar research.

Curious why propane tanks aren't an option for you? Do you have natural gas in your area / neighborhood?

1911 likes this.
  6. swelltimes

swelltimes SILVER Star

There are some good tools and resources on this webpage, which may help you navigate your decision / purchase.

sean2202 likes this.
  7. sean2202

sean2202

The way that the house is situated on the property there is no way to hide a propane tank without running a long line or burying the tank. The long term plan is to tap into the furnace for the garage when the furnace is replaced. For now I think an electric heater will do. Thanks for the link.

8. swelltimes

swelltimes SILVER Star

So, are you dealing with restrictions from a home owners' association, or looking to not deal with permitting? I'm not policing, I don't care, just curious.

I did some calculations last week, looking at average costs of electricity vs propane in Franklin County, MA, and propane was cheaper overtime, despite the higher installation cost.

Again, not putting you on the spot, just trying to help and share info.

9. Varty Yo

Varty Yo SILVER Star

No natural gas???
    Electric will just get very expensive. Also propane will dry you out pretty good. Id paln on keeping it just above freezing when you wont be out there. Then an hour before go kick it on.
    Gas is soooo cheap these days im putting in a 50k BTU gas unit in my garage unit was $600

10. thatcabledude

thatcabledude

IMG_3756.PNG
    One of these will blast an insulated 600sqft up to temp easily and cheaply with diesel. Even cheaper with died diesel. Only real downside IMO is they are a bit noisy.

11. sean2202

sean2202

@swelltimes the only restrictions is my wife and I do agree with her as you drive up to the house generally people go to the back of the garage to enter the house and the tank would be visible and ugly.I could build a storage building for the tank but that requires more time and work for me. We are in the country and there is no natural gas or real restrictions. I agree that propane is cheaper and would heat better. Thanks for the input and link.

@Varty Yo I probably will keep temps in that range it a little higher

@thatcabledude I have a propane one similar to that that runs off of a grill tank that I use now to unthaw things or need a quick warmup.

I am also looking at this unitIN STOCK QMark Model MUH102 Electric Unit Heater

12. Varty Yo

Varty Yo SILVER Star

So you dont have natural gas at your house?

13. swelltimes

swelltimes SILVER Star

@sean2202, I really think you owe it to yourself to call a plumber / HVAC contractor, and get a quote on propane heat. A good gas fitter can run some piping to move your propane tanks to a less visible spot.

As far as I know, based on my research and speaking with the HVAC estimator from my fuel provider, propane is cheaper in long run.

I don't know what electricity rates are in CT, but here in MA, they're going up and up, faster than propane prices.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">