Thoughts on these turbo fins... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're literally splitting hairs.

If you can feel axial play, it exceeds you 0.13mm (human hair is around 0.12).

My understanding is that Axial play is more likely to allow the impeller to contact the housing. Changes in boost and exhaust gas pressure push the shaft back and forth axially.
If a compressor floats forward and contacts the housing at 100,000 rpm, you're left with shrapnel.
Thrust washers do wear and fail.

Radial play is more forgiving and better taken up with oil film in the journal bearings, so less likely to contact the housing.

Radial play is measured at the shaft centreline. 0.18mm play at the shaft centre line could be a lot more at the impeller due to leverage ratio. Which is why a small amount of radial play can be more easily felt, and slightly less of a concern than axial play.

From the 1HD-T FSM

People can feel far less than 0.13mm. I regularly deal with 0.02mm tolerances and that's really obvious by hand. Because you can float two hard pieces and knock them against each other. It's not like checking for play in a heavily greased wheel bearing with stiff rubber seals.

The compressor can't float to touch the cover during use because thrust takes it in the other direction. It would also require a complete loss in oil and if that happens you will know.
I have had it happen. I knew.

If I blew up a CT26 I'd be replacing with a a CT20B.

Welp, I'll stand corrected. :slap:

Non-hamfisted peeps can feel when tolerance is over/under a human hair.

Dusten's Landcruiser is not POS even if it doesn't stop and handles like a shopping cart. But it's ok, coz it's not a sports car?

And @KiwiDingo hate for the CT20B has changed to love.

Oh, wait, scratch that last one! :rofl:

Welp, I'll stand corrected. :slap:

Non-hamfisted peeps can feel when tolerance is over/under a human hair.

Dusten's Landcruiser is not POS even if it doesn't stop and handles like a shopping cart. But it's ok, coz it's not a sports car?

And @KiwiDingo hate for the CT20B has changed to love.

Oh, wait, scratch that last one! :rofl:

A car can have poor driving characteristics and still be a good vehicle. I trust my land cruiser. It's reliable. But I've owned some very good cars in regards to driving characteristics and am spoiled.

Maybe I should check mine, it’s running great but one never knows. Can this engine run without the turbo? Just curious. Thank you for posting pictures, did you notice any noises or vibrations that prompted you to check the turbo?

Ahh damn now I have to buy an intercooler. I was picturing like a mesh screen in the charge pipe.
I could be wrong! I just know ICs are somewhat jokingly referred to as engine savers, shrapnel collectors etc. I wonder if anyone has made something like that.

I could be wrong! I just know ICs are somewhat jokingly referred to as engine savers, shrapnel collectors etc. I wonder if anyone has made something like that.
yup, they have, it just happens to cool the intake charge too! 2 birds 1 stone😄

Maybe I should check mine, it’s running great but one never knows. Can this engine run without the turbo? Just curious. Thank you for posting pictures, did you notice any noises or vibrations that prompted you to check the turbo?

Could. Sure. But man would it be slow.

I wasn't checking the turbo. I was cleaning intake tubing and just glanced down.

Yes, but if you have a turbo failure, there's a fair bit you'd have to cobble together to remove the damaged turbo, and run without it.
Running with a broken turbo, you risk the engine sucking in oil, and running away using the oil as fuel.

Yes, but if you have a turbo failure, there's a fair bit you'd have to cobble together to remove the damaged turbo, and run without it.
Running with a broken turbo, you risk the engine sucking in oil, and running away using the oil as fuel.
Ok, good to know. If the turbo suddenly goes bang, what is the first indication other than a loss of power? Lots of smoke? Grinding/pinging noises? I need good vibes, not nightmares. 😁

Ok, good to know. If the turbo suddenly goes bang, what is the first indication other than a loss of power? Lots of smoke? Grinding/pinging noises? I need good vibes, not nightmares. 😁

If the turbo disintegrates it's going to be loud.

It's also uncommon.

Slow turbo failures are often indicated by excess blue smoke, a lack of boost and a lack of power.

I had engine runaway wen turbo went bang

If the turbo disintegrates it's going to be loud

It's also uncommon.

Slow turbo failures are often indicated by excess blue smoke, a lack of boost and a lack of power.
You notice things like oil in your charge pipe long before the turbo goes bang.
PXL_20230831_023431951.jpg

Don’t let this be you

If it's catastrophic, I think you'll know it.

For me, it literally made a loud POP at 3500rpm. Huge loss of power. Cloud of smoke out the back. A bit of noise as the engine chowed down on chunks of turbo blades.

Fins made contact with the compressor housing at high speed. The compressor wheel disintegrated.

I managed to get mine off the highway pretty quickly. Engine started to run away within 30 seconds of the POP.
I stalled it out before it really got going. ( manual trans).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom