Thoughts on 2009 GX 32k miles. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across a mint 2009 GX470 non sport package in extremely mint condition with only 32k miles they want 29k. Im not familiar with the prices on these but im thinking its way over priced? Thoughts?

My 1st comment ever here so here goes.
Used car prices right now are inflated, period. Lack of parts to build new ones are slowing production across all makes. Stimulus checks made families run out and buy up used cars. Supply in demand applies, but $29K just to say you have a low mileage example? It's up to you man. Hell, even I think I overpaid for mine. '06 180,000 miles for $10,900. Great structurally, (Texas truck) dash replaced, EVERYTHING worked.

Yes the prices are crazy, just was shocked when I saw it. I know the LX/LC prices are even more wild.

I made the mistake of showing my wife the Lexus SC430. She wants one yesterday. Those are still surprisingly cheap. Thanks to Top Gear saying it was the worst car in the history of the world. I'll keep trying to convince people that until I buy one. Like the corrupt stock brokers do.

A GX with mileage that low is a bit of a unicorn, and there probably aren't a lot of examples available to compare the true value to, so the price is subjective and based on what you are willing to pay. That being said, it's still a 12-year old car. At that price you really aren't that far off from a new T4R (50% higher initial cost for something brand new and modern, with a warranty), or a GX460 that is nearly a decade newer (they can be had in the $30-35K range here in the Midwest with <100k on them).

If you are in the market for a unicorn, low-mileage GX that you can drive for another couple decades, it's a rare bird for sure, and the cost might be worth it (to you). I'm guessing that GX's with that low of mileage come on the market very, very infrequently. For me personally, I'd buy a new T4R or a lightly used GX460 over a low-mileage older car at a similar price, as they are a better value, since many parts (plastics/rubber/etc) degrade with time regardless of mileage.

FYI - GX prices in general have exploded, some dealers here in the Midwest are now asking $16-18K for GXs in the 100-150K range that are otherwise clean. Glad I got mine in September of last year before the popularity wave reached the center of the county.

The mileage is what drives the price on this, and considering there are probably zero comparable GX's on the market the seller can try for whatever price they see fit. Considering the current market their asking price is not outrageous and I'm certain that someone will pay very close to full price for it.

At a legit 32k miles, and if it's been stored indoors, it should look/smell/drive like a brand new GX. Seats should have no wear, pedal covers should have no wear, turn signal stalk should look new. It might even have the original tires (check the date code).

At this age it will absolutely need the timing belt job done, as well as pretty much all other large services.

There's also the risk of odometer rollback so be thorough with checking Lexus Driver's maintenance records and the Carfax report.

Its definitely legit. Timing belt and all maintenance was done. It will definitely sell like you said.

$29k is too much, BUT, if you prefer the 470 over the 460 and 4R AND really want a pristine example this is about as good as it'll get. Just don't expect to not have to replace stuff because like others have said it is still a 12 year old car and while metal doesn't age rubber and plastic do.

I agree, if it was 25 id jump on it. I do prefer the 4.7 engine though.

In my eyes it overpriced, simply because its no more reliable than say a clean 100k mile example. if i was spending 29k on a GX id look at a 460, or if you want a 470 find a clean one for around 20 and dump 9k of upgrades into it.

what would you use it for?

If you want a pristine truck that will be a low-miles-accumulated garage queen, then this might be it. If it's a DD subjected to flying rocks and road salt, I'd get something a lot cheaper with more miles.

I would also be curious about why the miles are so low. Did it have 12-years of nothing but two daily 2.5-mile trips (which are hard on a vehicle)? Or did it sit extensively between being used (also hard on a vehicle)? In a perfect world it would be driven on one 35-mile trip per week over the past 5 years. Were the oil and other fluids changed regularly or just once every few years when it hit the mileage-based service interval? I've known folks who have bought low-mileage older vehicles and had problems with them due to them having sat for so long with limited use. Things like differential ring gears can get surface rust on them if they sit high and dry out of fluid for months at a time due to limited use (the rust particles will then circulate through bearings and cause wear when it gets driven); likewise lots of cold starts and short trips causes additional engine wear and carbon buildup; hoses and rubber dry rot when not flexed or exposed to fluids.

My .02. I just bought a 2018 GX460 through Carvana, it still has a year of warranty left, and Carvana overpaid, I think, for my trade.

2018, 33,000 miles, $39,900. There were quite a few in that price range.

It's 9 years newer with a warranty for $10,000 more.

I'd go for a 460 at that price personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom