thinking to buy my first TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where else you going to find an 8 passenger truck with leather seats and the appeal of the Land Cruiser for less than $5k?

Check to make sure everything works and go for it! Those LX's can last a looooong time if cared for.

Sounds fantastic!

That truck is worth almost 4 grand in parts. Buy it . I'd look at it for you but I'm heading out of town for a while.you got a pm.

Ha ha I just phoned the guy for you and he is holding the car till friday for a guy from the states . Apperantly he said he is actually from bowen. Ya right.

looks like that one is gone now. another waiting game for the right truck to come along :)

Take to John Voo (ATEB 604-438-7537) for a per-purchase mechanical inspection and he will find something it needs so you can get the price lower.

So, other than the jump seats, it's a 4Runner? Same 3.4l gas engine looks like.

Seen it running around Tsawwassen... Looks nice. I wouldn't buy it but to each their own...

reviving an old thread. Interesting that I had my itch to get an LC over a year ago. Then priorities changed. Now I got the itch back.

Does ateb still looking for a place to work on trucks, I read their location in burnaby was sold ? I tried calling ateb or ebi, but they close on weekend.

Steve at EBI would be best, John Voo is there now.
What are you looking for?

Look down south for an 80 with cloth seats. Take your time. Brought my '94 up in 2007. It is no longer a daily driver as $130 a week on fuel driving around Ladner, Tsawwassen and South Surrey was too much. The kids won't let me sell it so it sits waiting for temp permits. Daily driver is a 2003 Jetta TDi 5 speed Wagon. Paid $5,000 for the Jetta so I figure the savings in fuel pay for it and allow me to keep the 80.

If you aren't planning any heavy wheeling have you considered a Sequoia? A friend of mine has one (used to have a BJ60) and uses it for exactly what you have described. Mostly local and some long trip once in a while. He loves it. Has a wife and 3 kids.

reviving an old thread. Interesting that I had my itch to get an LC over a year ago. Then priorities changed. Now I got the itch back.

Does ateb still looking for a place to work on trucks, I read their location in burnaby was sold ? I tried calling ateb or ebi, but they close on weekend.

Ateb is closed. Their lease ran out, Philipp and Helen wanted to retire, and John is enjoying his semi-retirement. he's working for Steve at EBI on a part time basis.

Funny, I missed this thread in 2015, but just read it all now.

Here's my perspective: I'm on my second HDJ81. My first one i had from 110,000km to 280,000km and almost 9 years. Lots of daily driving miles, but wheeling a weekend a month (if I'm lucky). Bought it because I wanted a diesel SUV, and hardly knew what a Land Cruiser was. I love driving it so much that I can't imagine owning anything else. When that one got wrecked I briefly though of getting a different model (HZJ77 or 100 Series), but really just knew I'd be back in an 80 before long. I drive it everywhere in spite of the fact that it uses more fuel than many other vehicles on the road, requires more maintenance than some others (which sounds at odds with the tough/reliable thing, but maintaining it will help it stay reliable), and is bigger than I need for daily use. I just love the solid feel of it, and in my case, that solid structure just happened to save my life.

I say follow your dream, hold out for a good one, and drive what you love.

how much would be a reasonable price for a fair condition 98 LX470 with broken AC and broken sunroof? it's got 175,000 miles (281,000 kms .. )

:)

thx