thinking to buy my first TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Phil,

After reading more into TLC. I leaning to get a 3FE model since some say it is easier to work on is that true? and it seems to fit my needs, slow and reliable
Do FJ80 come with 5 speed manual transmission ?

I think I also like the cloth seat compare to leather. leather just looks really bad when it starts to crack.

a quick search in buy sell forum yield some good one for sale. but they are tend to be more expensive compare to craigslist. I suspect mudder tend to already put a good amount of work into the truck. which is good for my purpose.
but adding the shipping and the paper work to import to canada, I am not sure if it's worth it. but I'll keep an eye on it from time to time

I just did a search in seattle craigslist, there are a few looks really good, but then again not sure if it is worth goihg through the hassle, but I'll keep my option open

I still think a local LC with some work already done is a wiser option. the remainder I can contact reputable shop to get done...

Does the 70 series comes with 3rd row? and is it LHD?

looks like the 1993 I posted on the first post is a US imports judging by the big bold MPH on the odometer.
It seems like a good deal if the history is good, some record of work done and if I can haggle it down more.

a few 1993 in buy sell forum or US craigslist are around $3000 - $4000 , plus the CAD rate and import paperwork, it probably close to $6000 by the time I get BC license.

IIRC, all 80 series land cruisers LHD gassers are US imports as only the Lexus 450 was sold in Canada.

Forget 70 series as a people hauler- too small, too slow, too uncomfortable. Might work for a family of tough assed Leprechauns not going far.
80 series manual transmission are rare. They are low geared and need 35's. Set of 35's will cost $1,500 - $1,900. Leather seats in 80's are are always shot, unless recovered, which they do in the US. Landcruisers require periodic front end knuckle rebuilds, often neglected maintenance on non-wheeled trucks -wheel and kingpin bearings and seals - parts and labour $1,000 - $1200. Count on doing this right off the bat. The FJ80s get 12-15 mpg (US) the HDJ81 (diesel) about 19-20 mpg (US). Because they use so much fuel and slow they are not good daily drivers and most owners use Landcruisers as a 'play vehicles'. The Landcruiser is not a good replacement for your DD. I have an Outback as a DD.
Even the 80 series are underpowered compared to modern vehicles - performance will not compare (acceleration, hill climbing ability) to your Outback.
The 100 series with the gas V/8 was a refinement of the 80 (replaced the solid front axle with IFS), and a more modern rig for hauling people with more comfort, but like all Land cruises expensive to operate. Lexus parts are often the same part as a Landcruiser, but more expensive (doctors and dentists don't seem to care, but we do) . We spend considerable time trying to get parts at reasonable prices. Toyota Canada parts prices are a complete rip-off and most of us have to source parts far and wide (e.g. US Toyota dealers and specialty suppliers in Canada/US). Still costs are higher than most other auto manufacturers and often you have to wait weeks to get something. That is why some above are recommending the Suburban - cheap and easy to get parts - fuel use about the same. The big advantage of a US Landcruiser - is parts accessibility, LHD and a much bigger market to buy from and especially a better possibility of getting a well maintained rust free truck from CA or AZ from a Mud member. For routine maintenance I would budget at x2 to x3 what you pay to maintain your Outback.
If you have kids on the way or the wife has dreams to renovate the house -- you will not have the truck long - seen it many times before.
Keep up the research.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

Thanks Phil,

After reading more into TLC. I leaning to get a 3FE model since some say it is easier to work on is that true? and it seems to fit my needs, slow and reliable
Do FJ80 come with 5 speed manual transmission ?

No 5 speeds in North American Land Cruisers after 1988, including the FJ62 model. 3F-E is a solid motor, cast iron everything, it's the motor in my FJ62. I like both motors, like all Toyota engines they do not like been overheated, probably goes for all engines really. If you get a 3F-e, make sure and do the galley plug, I lost a motor to that one. If I were you, I'd look for a later model 80, OBDII is a nice feature, 4 wheel disc brakes, better transmission

I think I also like the cloth seat compare to leather. leather just looks really bad when it starts to crack.

You are correct, cloth would be more desirable

a quick search in buy sell forum yield some good one for sale. but they are tend to be more expensive compare to craigslist.

I would agree, a muddier might have invested a lot of time and money into the truck, for instance, I bought my 62 in Bend, OR. This was a Cali truck owned by Mud members, I paid $7500 US, but it has not required anything but oil changes. Of course, the dollar was at par when I bought it :) and it's more or less rust free

I still think a local LC with some work already done is a wiser option. the remainder I can contact reputable shop to get done...

Does the 70 series comes with 3rd row? and is it LHD?

Not to many 70 series with third row in Canada, most would be RHD with diesels, not sure if the 77 series had third row. I am sure that the 80 series is roomier

Glenn has some very valid points, just not sure how I'd be able move myself, Tracy, 3 teenage girls and an 8 year old boy in an Outback. I still want to take the family wheeling, more on day trips. Even when I had my Sienna minivan the fuel economy wasn't extraordinary. Glenn doesn't require third row seats, heck he doesn't need back seats :). I've seen 80's where the only seat left is drivers and a fridge replaced the passenger seat. My 80 is a people hauler that I can use to explore the back country, or not, but I have a choice. After Cruiser days we are taking both Land Cruisers camping at Hale, one truck will mostly mule the camp gear, we are taking all the kids

My point being, to each their own. I see lots of 80's and LX450's being driven around the Okanagan that I doubt have seen dirt. I don't see to many RHD trucks compared to Vancouver. Yes, when I was shopping for a replacement vehicle after the last roll over, I could have picked anything, I chose an 80 series

To me there is no substitute for the solid, tough, overbuilt, sure footed 'feel' of a Landcruiser on any kind of unpaved road, even main haul FSRs.

And my next one will have this little baby under the hood in 2022. For the road test - full screen - Speakers vol up.

I think neoworm and others that advise me away from LC misunderstood when I said 99% of the time the truck will not see off road.
I am interested to join coastal cruiser club, go on nearby cruiser days run or what not.

I do enjoy doing work on my own cars, but I am just that, newbie, in 4x4 world. the biggest car job I've done was changing disc brake and pads on 1990 accord, that was pretty intimidating experience , since I am only using minimal tools and the caliper bolt was rusted and stripped real bad.

well I'll frequent this site, and I hope the right 80 or 100 series comes along at the right time.

I'm fairly certain that I'm not the one in this thread with the comprehension problem. Haha.

I wish you good luck with the Land Cruiser hunt. You'll find this site an invaluable resource for maintaining your future "investment".

Ya - lets have fun - we are dead a long time.

Ya - lets have fun - we are dead a long time.
I'm so with Glenn on this, only so many weekends left before my ashes are spread, not that I'm counting ;)

I'll chime in. When we bought our first 60, it was to be able to carry 6 people. We added third row seats. It was a diesel so the economy wasn't too bad but we didn't buy it to wheel. We bought it because it was a work horse that would last forever. Rust really took over on that truck after 10 years of faithful service and I have to say that I beat that truck like a rented mule.

I say go for it, buy the truck you want, enjoy it how you want to use it and when you get the chance, wheel it! YOu will never look back.

:)

and you have a wealth of knowledge to tap into to help your Cruiser journey through life...

Bob I got advice like this 4 years ago. Never did any wheeling (liked the idea) at that point. But I had a interest in the cruiser. Well I started off looking at Toyota surfs...laugh. And then ended up with a cruiser. The stars aligned, wife thought it was awesome and wallah. My mind for simplicity (relaxation in the outdoors) ended my rear end in a cruiser. I use it as a daily and as a truck for work. It's simple, costs a lot, drives like a tractor but has what i really wanted. If I bought what I needed it would be 350 domestic double cab long box. But in the end I make due and know that my investment in time and money are worth it because I really enjoy the experience. As your looking for a more primitive truck I bought a 1989 hj61. Best of luck with your journey.

Also what's this thread without pics..
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435922864.528036.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435922895.030070.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435922931.183343.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435922967.737161.jpg

It is my childhood dream to own one of this. so yea it will not be financially the best , but I hope to enjoy the experience. Thank you for sharing

Get a used built 4 banger 4runner beat it fix sell it get it out of your system then buy a 100 and build a buggy. Then you'll have all the bases covered city and bush , one you don't get dirty and one you don't wash.

Can't get 4runner. since it has to be 8 passenger.

I know everyone advise me against getting this money pit (well not all .. ) . since I won't be doing my own work .. but an opportunity came up
I found 1997 LX450 Local BC car with 253,000 KM (not mile), with locker . priced right at $4500 . temptation temptation ...