Think I need new injectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you go the injector route, definitely skip any aftermarket injectors. Have them rebuilt by a reputable shop, or replace with new Toyota OEM or Denso equivalent injectors.

What's it sound like when running funky? Dead miss, knock, nailing?
 
It kinda sounds like you're guessing about the presence and location of leaks. Before throwing clamps at it, I'd recommend using a clear hose to see if you even have air. Start at the line entering the I.P.

If you see air there, then move backwards until you find the likely source.

In my limited experience, the primer pump itself is the likely culprit, although it is weird at only 35k. I've also seen cracked hard lines along the frame.

Your issue, if it is indeed air in the lines, could be anywhere from the pickup in the tank forward.

If you end up replacing lines or doing other maintenance leading to a lot of empty plumbing, you might find it useful to disconnect the the line going to the I.P. and use the primer to fill everything with fuel, and then execute the procedure I described above.

The 1hz is also really good at firing up with small amounts of air in the line by self-priming/bleeding. I have dual tanks and have accidentally run one dry, coasted to the side of the road, switched to aux, and primed/bled from the driver seat by just cranking the engine for 15s a couple times. Often you don't even have to crack the injectors.
I'd agree the primer is a prime suspect, in my (also limited) experience age is every bit as hard as mileage on components like those. I believe the hard lines coming out of the tank are also common failure points, either from rust or cracking.

Rotary pump style injection systems do seem to self bleed very well once there's fuel to the pump.
 
If you go the injector route, definitely skip any aftermarket injectors. Have them rebuilt by a reputable shop, or replace with new Toyota OEM or Denso equivalent injectors.

What's it sound like when running funky? Dead miss, knock, nailing?
The engine bogs down, runs rough and stumbles with the odd snort and fart with puffs of blue smoke on acceleration between 2k and 3k rpm.
 
The engine bogs down, runs rough and stumbles with the odd snort and fart with puffs of blue smoke on acceleration between 2k and 3k rpm.
Not making funky noises points away from injectors. Think everyone else is on the right path with air in the lines.

Best of luck.
 
Agreed with all the above. My primer was also drawing air. If you have a heated fuel filter housing, that can also be a source of air as the o-rings dry out. I swapped mine for a non heated unit.

Overall though I was chasing potential air ingress for ages before I finally did the clear hose. It showed big bubbles which eventually led me to the tank pickup itself. I worked my way back though to eliminate all other possibilities and (touch wood) have had no air issues since.

My symptoms though were a little different: mine would pull air after sitting overnight and would start up with a light fog of white/gray smoke that took a long time to clear.

But the clear hose will at least confirm your path forward... Between the injection pump and the firewall was where I put it. Then you can be strategic as you move around to see if/or at what point it's coming in from...
 
Btw I think you're clear on this now but the 1hz doesn't have a bleed screw per se since it is a self bleeding system. I was convinced I had trapped air despite what they tried to tell me here. I tried bleeding my injectors by cracking them many times but until I found the source of the air, it returned every morning
 
Before I tried anything else, I though I would try Treadinglight's bleeding procedure since I had replaced the fuel filter and not properly bled the system. I figured that would be the place to establish a baseline, knowing that at that moment there is no air in the system. I followed the instructions on Tuesday and have driven the truck over the last few days and it is running great and no smoke. The plunger on the fuel filter housing is tight so I am tentatively considering this problem fixed. Like any new to me vehicle, it will take some time to develop 100% confidence in it but I am relieved to say the least.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and not just blowing off some new guy that just dropped in from nowhere and started asking questions.
 
Back
Top Bottom