The snorkle-hose thingy between air filter and throttle body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my hose is in pretty good shape, what can be done to keep it that way? looks expensive, it has a lot of dust accumulated I was going to give it a good scrubbing but it does not want to let go of the maf sensor, is it glued on?

I have seen vaseline recommended for rubber before, yes/no? what about silicone grease?

I just had to replace this hose as well - I think the heat is what makes them brittle (TX truck), cracked right under the ribbing when replacing the filter. Truck really runs like crap if it's leaking - I had to bandage mine up w/ 100mph tape until I could get a new one from c'dan.

Tucker

BTW - I'll bet that silicone spray they make for scuba gear would help keep it pliable.

I'll ask seeing as someone I KNOW will...

How much Dan?

Tank

17881-66080 for 95-97

List $88.25

And yes, I have one :rolleyes:

[quote author=lx450landcruiser link=board=2;threadid=8002;start=msg67620#msg67620 date=1069732085]
the hose or snorkle (as he put it) that goes between my air filter and throttle body needs to be replaced said something about it being rotted out or something. So heres my question does this happen? mike
[/quote]

Yes it happens and it happens frequently, in fact, in reality it probably happens to all vehicles. :eek: On my 4Runner I recently discovered this dang problem. :mad: I too wanted to patch it up but I know I really should replace it. On my Cruiser I dont have that problem as I dont have that hose! I think that hose for the 4Runner is even more than the one for the 80 LC! :mad: You mentioned that you washed the truck and everything looked fine, and it will; what happens is when you pull it off for whatever reason, the ends crack from heat, age, embrittlement. There is nothing that you can really do to prevent this although I think loosening it from the other end like some here suggested might help. Perhaps regular silicone treatments would help but it is too late for that hose. Basically that hose is fighting the elements, and it is losing. Just replace it, get one from cdan so it dont hurt so much and replace it. If it has the slightest leak your truck will run rough and, if it has the slightest leak now, it only will get worse with time. More and more I am learning not to screw around too much with rigging these things up to sorta work. I realize that no one likes to go to the shop for all the work you planned to do there and come out with more stuff you did not plan to do but hell, part of the shop's service is to tell you these things, and driving around with tape holding things together is getting old, at least for me. ??? This is all simply my two cents worth. That plus what cdan quoted will save you a fortune!!! ;)

My wife taped up her mom's when it cracked, until her idiot husband had time to replace it. When he did got to it he disconnected the throttle cable from the bracket :doh: .

Of course no one noticed that it started shifting weird ubtil I bought and thought I had to replace a $6k tranny :mad: .

After freakin' out for a few months with it slipping intermittently I noticed that cable wasn't hooked up.

I put it back 100k miles ago. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom