The Road to a 100 and 2001 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lookin good man I have the same year and color but the PO put 20in rims on it that I am still trying to get rid of. I like the look of the stock rims sweet rig!

Look'n good so far! Those pictures are awesome to the point they almost look fake.

Looking good! So you did 40 mm rear, how much did you lift the front?

I used 30mm spacers from Man-a-Fre and then 10mm trim packets from Slee. The front just has the T-bars maxed out. I started writing down the numbers while I was making adjustment but after a while I lost track of how many turns I had done and how much the height had changed. I just received a diff drop so that will go on soon. It will be interesting to see what change that has on the front end height.

Thanks John, I appreciate all your help along the way. Now that my son is getting a little older and my wife and I are returning to camping and adventuring she is getting excited about outfitting the truck. The best words a guy could ever hear from his wife:

"we should sit down and look at our budget and look at the list of mods for the truck and see what we can add every 6 months"

Her personal mod list is, Air compressor, drawer system, refrigerator.

Can't argue with that.

Nice build - look forward to tracking the progress.

Medium Lift

After a lot of waiting, a birthday, a new job and some scrounging I came up with enough disposable cash to buy all the components for the equivalent of the OME medium lift except that I have the BIOR diff drop instead of the Slee. I will be installing everything this weekend and will take lots of photos and maybe a time lapse of the install to add to my build thread. The only component that hasn't arrived yet is the Torsion bar set. The springs are the OME860's which will be replacing the stock springs and 40mm worth of spacers. The shocks are the OME NitroCharger Sport shocks.

How much extra height do the 40mm spacers add? I may be interested in them if you are selling and if they are the size I want.

Funny how the bug gets you, appears your original budget post has been shot to HE double hockey sticks.
Congrats on the move to the 100 - sounds very familier.

Impressive photos. Do you do HDR?

When you went to Death Valley, did you do the narrow Lippincott Road? Just wondering how the wide whale did. Have any more Death Valley pics?

Nice! Can't wait to see the lift pics.

Please post a couple of pics on install of diff drop.

Mike is shipping mine next week with a few more goodies.

120,000 mile service

So my original plan for this truck was to do EVERYTHING myself, including major maintenance. Unfortunately reality set in and that idea has gone down the drain. With a a few trips coming up soon (Surf n Turf, Death Valley) and a calendar that showed me that I have almost no free weekends I decided that I would rather spend the few free weekends I did have on the trail and not in the garage. This is what I had done:

Complete vehicle inspection: Brakes, Drivetrain, Steering, Suspension, Engine
Replace: Coolant, Brake Fluid, Differential Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, Transmission Fluid, Fuel Fillter, Lubricate Driveshafts and new spark plugs

My CV's were leaking like crazy so I just went ahead and had them completely rebuilt and repacked. This was a job I was both really looking forward to doing myself yet also dreading. Unfortunately this learning experience will have to happen another time. I also had the shop re-pack the front wheel bearings.

I got it all done for about $1100 at RPM Auto Center in Irwindale. Steve Lam runs the shop there and was really great to work with. He is on MUD and has a nice LX470. nice to do business with another Cruiser head and all around nice guy.

The Timing belt is next on the list. I didn't have it done this go around just because I couldn't afford another $900 on top of everything else I was getting for the truck.

The car felt brand new after getting everything replaced and tuned up. Every truck needs a day at the spa from time to time.

Reality 1 : Me: 0

Suspension bits and pieces

After several trips where the truck was loaded down family camping style and dragging A$$ all over the country side I decided it was time to bite the bullet and purchase the components to put a proper suspension lift on the truck. No more spacers. This is the third vehicle I have owned and the first that I have actually been able to afford more than just some rubber spacers. Needless to say I am pretty excited about it. It took me several months to piece things together as I wasn't able to plop down all the cash at once.

I bought the diff drop from Bump It Offroad. Looks and feels like solid construction. Nice powder coat job. Includes all the hardware. The spacers are pretty rough cut from tube stock but I don't think it's a big deal since no one really sees under there unless you are upside down (that may be a concern for some on here :) ).

Mike had a great set of instructions for the installation. I had to read over them a few times and identify all the parts to make sure I was unscrewing the right nuts and bolts. After 5 minutes I had it all figured out and the install took only a few minutes. The entire install was much easier than I expected it to be; no stuck bolts, no tight places to get to. Just pop the old one out and pop the new one in with spacers.

Diff1.jpg
Diff2.jpg
Diff3.jpg

A few months after buying the diff drop I was ready to start buying everything else. I spent a lot of time reading on here all the various options on rear springs, spent some time on the phone with Slee and finally settled in on the OME860 rear springs. They were a perfect match for the amount of load I carry when traveling with my family. I also took Slee's advice and went with the Nitrocharger Sport shocks (60000 and 60002). Only a few weeks after the shocks and springs I was able to buy the last piece of the puzzle; the OME Torsion Bars.

Last edited:
Bits and Pieces

Almost like Christmas. I forgot to take a shot of the T-bars included in there. Oh well, who cares.
IMG_4175.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom