the pin is in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The center pin is in, for those following along. Steering is realigned, but untested as my battery is flat dead. Should be good for the work weekend at Golden Mountain; still think I'm going to go rears-up-front if I don't trade up. If you got here from mud search, its an 84/85 4Runner/mini truck front leaves, and I used generic pins from the Advance right down the road. Size 3/8 which was a little bigger than what I pulled out, but seemed to fit just about right (I brought home a couple sizes to test.)

- Jamie (mobile)
ForumRunner_20110903_173204.jpg

:lol:
Whatever works!
I am trying to fix my transfer case before Andy's birthday and discovered that my torque tube is broken off the frame so I have considerable work to do.
I also need a nut. A big freakin' nut.

It took me a little time to figure out what you were talking about. In my mind a torque tube goes from the trans to the rear end on olden cars where the suspension was rubbish. I don't know 40s that well, and they are kind of olden anyway, so I looked around. Interestingly the only place I could find reference to this tubular cross members was here on mud. Jeeps have some aftermarket headers brand named Torque Tubes; Unimogs also have have tubular cross members, but also have torque tube drive shafts. Learn something every day.

Also found myself reading a lot about frame torsional stiffness and how these are designed, where I learned almost nothing. Anecdotes, brand loyalty, and marketing mostly. People will say this or that is best , but few take in to account manufacturing limitations, cost, etc.

ANYWAY yours is broken. Did you move it when the 4 speed went in? Rust an issue? Maybe snap a few pics?

It was moved when the 4 speed went in. I did not do that work. The welds sucked though. I got her bodged back together last weekend and arrived home Sunday with my RTT in the bed of the Chevy to find a big nut in my mail box from Kurt. I also welded the cone back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom