The Peregrinations & Misadventures of Brigadier D+/ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Briggy can't be tied to anything. He rears up and breaks stuff.

So we have a deal: I don't tie him up, and he doesn't leave.

IMG_20180524_160258920_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180524_182639594_HDR.jpg

From yesterday...

Screenshot_20180524-182839.png

Screenshot_20180524-182823.png

Today we had a good ride at Mohonk. It was warm and sunny and a beautiful day, tho I am getting tired of conditioning the two of us and find that sometimes I just want to be home trying to distract Onur from his work.

That's what nighttime is for.

My man gave me quite a scare today. 90 degrees. We set out to do a ten mile jaunt. He is certainly fit enough to do a fast ten miles even in this heat.

Four miles in he had diarrhea. Then peed multiple times, which really worried me. After the fourth time, I called the vet. The vet on call said he would meet me back at the farm at 7.

He was acting normally. Grazing, happily going down the trail, but this is a stoic horse who doesn't admit to weakness or pain so it's not always easy to read him.

The vet came, did a physical, then an ultrasound. He drew blood and his calcium levels came back high, which could indicate an issue. I should know more tomorrow when I see how he fared the night. I'll swing by to see him before I go to school.

Here is the vet showing me the ultrasound of his liver and kidneys.

IMG_20180529_185716762_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180529_191232653.jpg

Last edited:
My man have me quite a scare today. 90 degrees. We set out to do a ten mile jaunt. He is certainly fit enough to do a fast ten miles even in this heat.

Four miles in he had diarrhea. Then peed multiple times, which really worried me. After the fourth time, I called the vet. The vet on call said he would meet me back at the farm at 7.

He was acting normally. Grazing, happily going down the trail, but this is a stoic horse who doesn't admit to weakness or pain so it's not always easy to read him.

The vet came, did a physical, then an ultrasound. He drew blood and his calcium levels came back high, which could indicate an issue. I should know more tomorrow when I see how he fared the night. I'll swing by to see him before I go to school.

Here is the vet showing me the ultrasound of his liver and kidneys.

View attachment 1712181

View attachment 1712183

Hope he had a good night and that the vet reports back that it's nothing serious.

Hope he had a good night and that the vet reports back that it's nothing serious.

Thanks, @4mydogs !

I fed him along with the other horses this morning and he was ravenous and had peed and pooped. The vet said if he hadn't urinated overnight he would be out first thing in the morning to see him again, or I would have to take him to Rhinebeck to their hospital.

I was very happy to have a stall to muck out this morning on my way to school!

Last edited:
Fed him soupy mash this morning and afternoon to rehydrate him; he still looked pretty drawn today.

Here are some other pictures from yesterday before he threw me into a panic.

We also heard an owl and saw some other people on the trail looking up to see a big barred owl, high in an oak, silhouetted against the evening sky.

I dismounted to watch him and these hikers became a lot more interested in Briggy, who really enjoyed their attention.

One last note. He loves salt and vinegar chips. Loves.

IMG_20180529_173225019.jpg

IMG_20180529_173351174_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180529_162142368_HDR.jpg

These are the entrants of the endurance races/ competitive trail rides this weekend.
IMG_20180531_101922375.jpg

Notice any trends?

All girls!

You have the oldest horse

Today we did 5 quick miles before dinner. Onur joined us riding his mountain bike.
IMG_20180605_172100945.jpg
Briggy really liked that idea as he very quickly learned that Onur is a man who will feed you apples and chips all the damn time.

That was our last ride. He will get the rest of the week off before Sunday's race.

We were supposed to do a longer training ride on Sunday, but we did 15 miles on the Delaware instead...
IMG_20180603_164131590.jpg

Briggy has been stabled at the same farm since 2009, when my ex and I bought that house, but it is time to move him.

I found a great little farm in Stone Ridge, even closer to the rail trail and Mohonk than I was before. And the guy who owns the property will let me keep my trailer there. Seems perfect for Brig.

We are moving him Sunday night after the VT ride if we get home early enough. Between packing for the race and packing him to move, it will be a busy week.

All girls!

You have the oldest horse

And everyone competes either Arabs or Morgans. Out West Morgans are a lot less common and most people use Arabs or Arab crosses.

Today I packed while Onur did some work to the truck.

I packed a crew bag so it will be easy to truck s*** over to the vet hold halfway through the ride. Still need more apples and carrots but we are headed out tonight to grab whatever else we need. Briggy, meanwhile, wandered the property looking for clover.

As he should.

@kasassy is supposed to take a study break and come hang with us but no service at Green Mountain Horse Association so she will just have to show up and look for an out-of-place Turk.

IMG_20180608_152844851_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180608_160617912_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180608_160637950_HDR.jpg

Today I packed while Onur did some work to the truck.

I packed a crew bag so it will be easy to truck s*** over to the vet hold halfway through the ride. Still need more apples and carrots but we are headed out tonight to grab whatever else we need. Briggy, meanwhile, wandered the property looking for clover.

As he should.

@kasassy is supposed to take a study break and come hang with us but no service at Green Mountain Horse Association so she will just have to show up and look for an out-of-place Turk.

View attachment 1718934

View attachment 1718935

View attachment 1718936
Those are my instructions? Got it.:)

Reminds me of pre-show packing. Except you probably don't have to spend the night polishing tack.

Enjoy your race!:)

Tied for 6th out of more than 20 horses. All As on vet card except for skin tenting which was a B. Brig is a rock star!

More later. Moved him to new farm. He looks amazing.

IMG_20180610_185152555_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom