The MUD 100 series Videos thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everyone has their own comfort level, but you don't really have any sidewall bulge/flex while stationary which seems to be too high of a pressure. I think the effect of watching the tire closely in the video exacerbates what you're thinking because it's pretty rare to have your eyes on the tires 100% of the time. I'm sure if I saw what my tires were doing sometimes I'd think they were about to blow :D. I usually run 20 psi off road, and you can definitely see the tires folding over obstacles and while it looks like it would damage them I have yet to (knock on wood). It is important to note though that I have a 16" rim so lots more sidewall, and I run E rated DTs which are probably more plies than what you run. If you bring air with you and a spare, maybe experiment with 26-28 psi to see how it works. I can definitely tell you the ride is far less bumpy over washboard and rocks with lower psi too!

I follow you 100%. I don't have any sidewall flex sitting balanced on all four corners. If I did, I wouldn't be able to keep the rim off the rocks.
I think there are two key considerations here when comparing tire pressures:

1. The amount of sidewall in similar sized tires on 16 inch wheels vs. 18 inch wheels (looks like you've got 285/75/16's?). Believe me, when I swapped my 315/75/16 clad 80 for the 275/70/18 rubber on my LX and aired down for the first time--it was depressing. You've got a lot more to work with.

2. The flex of sidewalls between different tires. Some tires are stiffer than others. Going back to my 80, I ran 295/75/16 Terra Grapplers for a number of years, and they responded in the same way as these Toyo ATIIs--they had very flexy sidewalls. I had to run them around 25 psi to keep the rims off the rock when really weighted. When I switched to 315/75/16 MTR Kevlars, I had to drop to 18 PSI to get the tires to flex. Same truck. Same weight. Stiffer tire. The MTR's stood up straight with far lower air pressure compared to the Terra Grapplers and the ATII's. By the same token the ride was harsher at the same pressure with the MTR's compared to the Terra Grapplers.

Trust me. The ATII's deform plenty over bumps, and cushion the ride admirably at 30 psi. Just because they're standing up straight when balanced evenly at all 4 corners, doesn't mean they don't easily deform around bumps. They're a soft tire.

30 PSI:

tire.png

^ That's a great still shot I see what you mean. I agree on all points, and I used to have an XJ that I had to air down the tires (Super Swamper TSL bias ply) to 10 psi!! :eek: The truck was super light and the tires were ridiculously stiff to the point I only ran about 28-30 psi on the street! lol

Incidentally, I think my next tire will the Toyo AT2 Xtreme in the 295/75/16 variety. Those have very tough/stiff sidewalls from what I've read, but unfortunately they are a very heavy tire too. I have been extremely pleased with my 285/75/16 Duratracs, and the only thing I'd change about them is to make them a half inch taller! When the time comes to switch out my tires though I'll probably get the Toyos.

I would have gone with the Xtremes if they were available in 275/70/18. Almost did the Duratracs, but the treadwear warranty on the Toyos got me.
Ideally I'd like 17" rims and ATII Xtremes in a 285/75/17. Anyone want to trade up to 18" wheels? ;)

all right, let's leave the rest of the tech discussion for the main forum please

anyone using the GoPro4 yet?

^
Reminded me of that SVT Raptor jump vid.. Dude destroyed his truck.. Raptor don't think drove away though lol..

That's a strange jump. I suspect that his passenger side took a hit too and corrected afterword. The video doesn't show it but I have seen things like this. My cousin jumped his lc80 coming too hot in the desert and luckily got a way with too blown shocks. Not worth it for this guy.

More from the trip to AOP with the GA Cruisers this weekend. Credits to @tgreco for the video, thanks!

Well I made these videos a little while ago on the Cruise Moab Overnighter runs in the San Rafael Swell. As I recently discussed doing this run again, I got thinking that I may have some of these videos elsewhere on MUD, but not here. I guess Ill try embedding them here.

Son of gun video has the best sounding 100 ever. Can u say dumbed?

I like e brake slides as well.

I would like a front axle brake like a world rally car for some serious sliding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom