The Low and Slow Tennessee Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I may have had the opportunity to meet some of yall at Crawl, I have a white 1987 4runner, its super clean. I heard the name Clean 4runner a lot so Ive named it the clean runner. Kind of stupid, but whatever.

Anyways, the reason im callin it low and slow is that I am slowly doing this over the course over the next few months because I am broke and slowly acquiring parts. Ive just always been jealous of all of yalls build threads so I wanted to do one for myself. Kinda been a something ive always wanted to do. I know its something yall have all seen before a thousand times but this is my build!

Plans:

SAS, Rear lift, HP front e locker third 5.29 gears, rear e locker 5.29 gears, Dual marlin cases, Marlin HD transmission, figure out drive shafts, RCV axles.

Parts Ive got:

Marlin HD W56B, Rear E locker third geared in 3.73 or something weird, 85 4runner axle, Marlin Dual Ultimate transfer case 2.28/4.7 being built right now and coming in the mail.

I started the thread because I got started on tearing down the axle tonight. Heres some pics of what I got so far. This is like my second or third time using a grinder or a saws all...

Here is my fancy new axle ready to be chopped on:

SN4Zrrpl.jpg

Extra fancy shiny transmission and clutch kit from marlin:

DQ88R84l.jpg

Saws all action. My fiance took some pics for facebook haha:

LdqiQa0l.jpg

Getting closer and closer to crawl time:

RyHDqzRl.jpg

imbEnXJl.jpg

qKJssrMl.jpg

4eRUWa8l.jpg

It started getting too dark to continue... As you can see, my incredibly spacious workspace does not have lights or power, so I had a desk lamp out there illuminating my work area and some citronella candles... so ghetto but its memphis.

Last edited:
You and @FJ60Cam are like brothers from another mother. At least your work space has 4 walls. To help keep the neighbors at bay. :D

But I'd watch the sparks on the rug or you may have more light than you can stand.

Looking forward to following along.

You and @FJ60Cam are like brothers from another mother. At least your work space has 4 walls. To help keep the neighbors at bay. :D

But I'd watch the sparks on the rug or you may have more light than you can stand.

Looking forward to following along.

Ive seen Cams workspace, he actually lives walking distance from me. Similar conditions but a little more spacious. Conversations with him about all hes done in his driveway actually was what gave me the confidence boost to do this myself instead of having it done for me.

Good call on the rug, I didnt even think about that. Its a weird plastic rug thing, not fiber. I'll need to cut it out. Theres no way I can move that axle again. It took a long time for me to get it in there... a very long time

Nice! Take your time. No need to rush. Hit up the Pirate4x4 Toyota Tech Bible and read til you eyes bleed. That's how I learned enough to build my 85 4Runner without robbing banks to finance it.

I'm not a huge fan of elockers. They're appealing because they're a cheaper selectable, until you have to buy a replacement motor or shift collar. Because you have lockouts in the front, I would do an Elocker in the rear (unless you wanna step up to a ZIP or ARB air locker), and a hi-pinion third in front with either a Detroit or Grizzly or even a Lock-Right / Aussie / Spartan.

Rear springs up front gives about 4" of lift, tons of flex, ride great, and relatively cheap. Be glad to answer any questions you may have if you'd like.

What's your plans for the truck? DD with 5% fire trails? Or 5% DD but mainly a trail rig? Some other mix?

@Jordan7118 i plan on DDing it for the next few years until we have our 100 series paid off and I start driving it. It's my fiances now and it's 100% soccer mom set up. (I have no kids). I basically need it to be reliable to daily drive and also be able to do whatever trails I want to. I couldn't really wheel with you guys at the crawl with the way it sits now. I'd like to be able to do the #4 trails at hot springs, ive never even been on a 5 so I don't know what they look like. Then I'd like to take it on long trips to places like Moab and try it out, maybe do the overlanding thing. The fact that I'm DDing it is why I bought the new trans and cases. Doing the duals now will save me money down the road. And I won't have to search for a transfer case. I'm currently trying to decide wether to get 37x12.5R17 or 35x12.5R15. I have to be able to fit in a parking garage at my work that is 7 foot 6 inches tall.

I was looking at the RUF but it seems like it might be a little too flexy up front. @FJ60Cam has a standard HP diff. I was thinking about going the route you said, however if I'm ever in 4wd I'll have that locker locked in. I have no plan for hydro assist in the near future until I get the 100 series. That, and if I get a hp from marlin, it will come pre geared in 5.29. I don't know of many gearing shops around here, and now that I think of it.... I have to find a driveshaft shop too

Damn.

Someone now has an even more ghetto workplace than myself....

Ha

Looking good man, keep'er clean! Had a good time hitting the trails with you at the crawl.

Looking good man, keep'er clean! Had a good time hitting the trails with you at the crawl.

Oh yeah man, you blew my mind with that 5th gen. Had no idea it would do those trails!

tinkered around a little more tonight and got the rest of the steering stabilizer mounts cut off and smoothened out.

KMM50IUl.jpg

YaQK0Lol.jpg

Now I need to just start taking it apart. Going to be hard in that tiny space

Made a little headway tonight. got the driver side completely stripped. The size of my shed/workspace is really starting to take its toll... I think i could have done twice the work in the given time if I had more space. Oh well. This will be slow. Going to get the other side off tomorrow and the third. Then ill get it all cleaned up.

GiJMLu7l.jpg

Are you keeping track of the trunion shim thickness and locations?

Well... I wasnt, but I am now. I was under the impression that with the Marlin Axle rebuild kit, you replace the shims.... I bought one of those bearing preload pull scales. When I do the other side tonight, Ill keep track of it. These are the little things I dont know to do because most of the online write ups pass over these little details :/

Good catch, Fireman. You can use new shims or reuse the old but you will want to mic the old ones if you decide to replace them so that you properly center the assembly.

Are shims something that get worn down and need to be replaced? You wouldn't think they would... there was so much crud on the knuckles that the shims are still stuck to it I believe. So I can still salvage them and the position they are in

Yep. You can reuse them.
or replace them but always mic them out so the same thickness is on the top and bottom as original. It's is to keep the spindle centered up so that the brass bushing inside doesn't prematurely wear. They make a tool to set up the shim thickness on new builds but it is high $.

Yep. You can reuse them.
or replace them but always mic them out so the same thickness is on the top and bottom as original. It's is to keep the spindle centered up so that the brass bushing inside doesn't prematurely wear. They make a tool to set up the shim thickness on new builds but it is high $.

Great, Ill probably just re use them the same way they came out, and see how it reads on the pull scale. I think it needs like close to 15# ?

By the way, in case yall were wondering, this is what I had to deal with tonight... Yes. I am sitting on a plaster bucket.

Y7XMYDhl.jpg

Totally worth it though!

9mCe03tl.jpg

Note the OSHA compliant power source coming about 70 feet from my house

New parts! RCV chromo axles, yukon 5.29s, and the yukon set up kit with a solid pinion spacer!

WdPsrohl.jpg

You should have told me uou were getting RCV's, 49Tire is a RCV dealer I transfered my account to Chris when I closed my shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom