The Long Overdue RastaRig Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, regarding engine color. Man, I'm opening myself up here for ridicule to no end but ....before anyone says it, yes the engine is blue. It's the paint I had and we are trying to stay on budget. Or in my case, no budget.

img_0360.jpg

img_0413.jpg

img_0422.jpg
img_0360.jpg
img_0413.jpg
img_0422.jpg

So I've rebuilt only two engines in my life and none of them were a transplant requiring custom fit-up. Check everything twice before, you know, you say "final position" and start cutting. And, welding. Can you find the problem, Houston? It's there....

img_0362.jpg

img_0363.jpg

img_0409.jpg

Positioning happens ABOVE the engine and, well, below it....
img_0362.jpg
img_0363.jpg
img_0409.jpg

The clutch release needed to be dealt with---turns out, the Fiero clutch release cylinder is just the right force, throw and size for the, um Landcruiser. Doesn't seem right to put "Fiero" and "Landcruiser" in same sentence much less the same vehicle, but there it is....

Detail from below of bell-housing and clutch arm. That part should have gone in today, but Fate stepped in and, well, you gotta roll with these kind of little things...
img_0259.jpg

Small detail of tranny/txfr case support
img_0260.jpg

And txfr case there
img_0263.jpg
img_0259.jpg
img_0260.jpg
img_0263.jpg

Last edited:
I dig the blue Cummins, actually. Never seen one that color, but it looks better than beige, or red.

Wow... This is fascinating to watch... I don't think I could ever pull something like this off so this is like watching someone walk on the moon...

More pics!

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side...

That Cummins is Tried and True as well. Can't wait to see how things turn out. Great Build.

Mike

Great photos, I'm a look at it/touch it kinda guy and when I see other people's pics of working projects it really inspires me.
As for color, that 6BT was after all a marine application engine earlier in life, seems fitting that it is blue ;) I will be curious how long the valve covers stay white though, even my black ones are blackened by Cummins lifeblood oozing from every seam and hose.
Anyway, great post, I just picked up what was to be a donor FJ80 but it's better than the one needing parts and runs great. Someone is going under the knife and getting that 6BT I have on a stand in the back of the shop.

Great photos, I'm a look at it/touch it kinda guy and when I see other people's pics of working projects it really inspires me.
As for color, that 6BT was after all a marine application engine earlier in life, seems fitting that it is blue ;) I will be curious how long the valve covers stay white though, even my black ones are blackened by Cummins lifeblood oozing from every seam and hose.
Anyway, great post, I just picked up what was to be a donor FJ80 but it's better than the one needing parts and runs great. Someone is going under the knife and getting that 6BT I have on a stand in the back of the shop.
...hell, the covers are greasy already!

Wow... This is fascinating to watch... I don't think I could ever pull something like this off so this is like watching someone walk on the moon...

More pics!

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side...
....that's hilarious.... "like goin' to the Moon". I'll tell ya, it feels like I'm ON the moon feeling my way around unfamiliar terrain! Much appreciation, though....and if I can do it... Yu Can Tu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom