The Coleman Thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice job on the lantern resto. Not over restored and shiny. I like it. And 502s just rock.

Eric

I decided to stop in at a pawn shop today and what did I see up on a shelf? A 1958 Coleman 252A military lantern! I know they don't have the best reputation but after finding out about them a few months ago I've been wanting one.

It seems to be in very good condition although when I trying to clean the dust off of it, I broke the mantle that was on it. But of course I had an extra and was able to fire it up. Not bad for $25.

Chad

IMG_5476.JPG

IMG_5477.JPG

My favorite model as well, nice!

Decent price. Looks like it's in good shape. I found one (also a '58 if I remember correctly) at a surplus store in Idaho a few years ago and bought it for my dad since he didn't have an Army model in his rather large collection. It was in fine condition, but I think I paid about $50 for it. My dad would blow his coffee out his nose if he knew that. He usually buys his stoves and lanterns for about $5; $10 if he wants to splurge on something special.

I blame everyone who has posted in this thread for my case of Coleman-itis.

$25 Craigslist score with a can of fuel and couple of spare parts. Tank with old fuel but fired up with one match and burned clean.

IMG_2385.JPG

now how many 425s do you already have?

naw, no problem at all

Once again another Coleman fell into my lap. When I started reading this thread I did not own any. I am on the west coast helping my grandmother clean the garage after my grandfathers death early last year. We found his Coleman 413e and nobody else in the family wanted it. It has a factory looking propane conversion on it. I may swap it for the fuel setup I have on my others or I may keep it the way he had it. Either way this stove is a keeper.
IMG_2853.JPG

the heirloom Coleman stuff will always have a special spot in my collection, even if they aren't the ones I use daily...

So after reading this thread and a couple on the Classic Camp Stove forum I have acquired a Coleman 426D that is older than me by a couple of years, but had never been fired. It is dated May '66 and works like an absolute charm. All it took was a bit of neatsfoot oil on the pump leather and it fired straight up. It has a bit of surface rust on the catches and a bit of over spray on one end from where it must have been sitting in someones shed, but for a user it is pretty much perfect.

I now intend using this for most of our camp cooking and three restored Tilley lamps for camp lighting after finally getting sick of butane and propane freezing up.

Thanks again for the inspiration IH8MUD,
Stove.JPG
or should that be obsession?

Here it is making the first of many pots of coffee out of the back of my 80 this last weekend.

Cheers
Scotty

everything I use for stove cooking and light is white gas now. those 3 burners are great, I almost got a second one! you got pics of those Tilly lamps?

Not sure how well received Tilley lamps in the Coleman thread will be, but since you asked, here goes :hillbilly:

The one on the left is a Tilley X246 from the early fifties ('50-'54), before they started date stamping them. The middle one is also an X246 built in Jan 1958, and the right most one is an X246B that I bought new in 2003.

The difference in the quality is amazing. Like the Coleman stuff, the newer the lantern, the cheaper it seems to have been made.

I've decided I need to keep an eye out for a Coleman lantern or two now I know how much easier shellite is to use than kerosene! No more buggerising around with Metho (alcohol) preheating before lighting.

BTW Shellite = white gas/Coleman fuel in Australia.

Cheers
Scotty

Tilley1.JPG

Tilley2.JPG

Last edited:
I like those! classy...

I had been looking for a 426C for quite a while but they were all really rough, incomplete, or fetching silly money. When this 426D came up, which had never even been lit, I figured it was worth grabbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom