The best oil for a 2F engine, 6,000 miles tested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having tried all sorts of oils for some time and 'k's miles I have found that the best oil for a 2F engine is the heavy farm equipment* /diesel engine oil synthetic blend "Mystic JT-8 oil 15W50"
Comes in 2gal canister, perfect qty for an oil change!

-Engine runs super quiet** like new out of the factory, also in higher rpm
-Performance is definitely up, noticeable more power
-Cylinder compression is on average 3-8 psi higher
-Fuel economy is up, doing on average mpg 15, Hwy (55mph) 17 country road 35 - 50 mph range 18 mpg
-oil consumption is down, now about a quart per 2k miles
-spark-plugs have considerably less combustion residue buildup.

:cheers:

*Let's face it a 2F is a tractor engine, 1930's technology

**(I was actually asked by cruiser head:"Got a rebuild in there , runs really smooth and quiet..."
(Didn't tell him I was approaching 340k miles on it!)

HHmmm

So how much for this wonderful product and where to get.:D

Rotella seems to be the one most used by farmers in Arkansas and Texas. Why do you find this brand better seems to have more additive... Not sure that's a good thing. Mike

Rotella seems to be the one most used by farmers in Arkansas and Texas. Why do you find this brand better seems to have more additive... Not sure that's a good thing. Mike

I've never built a 2F, but I've built many sports car engines with flat tappets and I used to use Rotella for break in, but Shell has significantly reduced the ZZDP in Rotella. This information is not easy to find as they don't advertise it. The secret is in the codes that come after the oil, this was done to meet new emissions requirements.

If you use Rotella make sure it's the old CI-4 classification, its still on the shelves, not the new oil.
Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
I use Royal Purple break in oil and then switch to Valvoline VR1, in my 2F also.

You can get it at most any oreillys. two I've worked/work at have had the 2 gallon jugs in stock. I've been thinking about trying it out now this gives me a better reason to next time my oil needs changing!
Did you need additional ZDDP with the mystic?

I really dont believe one will see an increase in mpg with a 50 wt. I'm using 15/40 and is a little like syrup.

I would not go any thicker than 40 wt.

That is quite a claim for just an oil change. What were you running prior to the Mystic?

Having tried all sorts of oils for some time and 'k's miles I have found that the best oil for a 2F engine is the heavy farm equipment* /diesel engine oil synthetic blend "Mystic JT-8 oil 15W50"
Comes in 2gal canister, perfect qty for an oil change!

-Engine runs super quiet** like new out of the factory, also in higher rpm
-Performance is definitely up, noticeable more power
-Cylinder compression is on average 3-8 psi higher
-Fuel economy is up, doing on average mpg 15, Hwy (55mph) 17 country road 35 - 50 mph range 18 mpg
-oil consumption is down, now about a quart per 2k miles
-spark-plugs have considerably less combustion residue buildup.

*Let's face it a 2F is a tractor engine, 1930's technology

**(I was actually asked by cruiser head:"Got a rebuild in there , runs really smooth and quiet..."
(Didn't tell him I was approaching 340k miles on it!)

I don't know what you mean, mine get's like a 20hp boost every time I change the oil. Shoulda seen it after that time I washed it.:eek:

There are various flavors of the Mystic brand that all look and sound the same. The 15w50 SHDEO semi-syn is still a CI-4 oil and can be orderd through O'Reilly's if they don't carry it. Good price, too, on the 2-gals.

No way you got the performance improvement from the oil. Otherwise every car manufacturer on the planet would have Mistik as factory fill. Glad you like it though. I'm assuming it's just another relabled oil, since it isn't like there's a Mistik refinery, or Mistik oil wells.

Just to warn you-my 60 runs much better after I wash it, and if I change the oil AND wash it, I'm winning drag races with Corvettes. Really.

Mystik lubricants was its own manuf company in Texas - but it's been a while since I looked at the company. They were primarily in the aviation and heavy indus but have expanded.

I don't know what you mean, mine get's like a 20hp boost every time I change the oil. Shoulda seen it after that time I washed it.:eek:

don't forget the polish the body with jet wax after the wash! Makes it more slippery through the wind! Especially downhill with a tail wind!

To all the smart asses regarding "no way runs better mileage after oil change."

At 340k miles and the measurable higher compression with the oil, what's your argument?

That is quite a claim for just an oil change. What were you running prior to the Mystic?

I tried various synthetics. 10W30 = to thin, engine audible louder.

No way you got the performance improvement from the oil. Otherwise every car manufacturer on the planet would have Mistik as factory fill. Glad you like it though. I'm assuming it's just another relabled oil, since it isn't like there's a Mistik refinery, or Mistik oil wells.

Just to warn you-my 60 runs much better after I wash it, and if I change the oil AND wash it, I'm winning drag races with Corvettes. Really.

Try this: http://www.mystiklubes.com/index.jsp

Mine runs even better than yours, in reverse!

I really dont believe one will see an increase in mpg with a 50 wt. I'm using 15/40 and is a little like syrup.

I would not go any thicker than 40 wt.

340k miles, thicker oil, higher compression....

Your claims are believable in the sense that your motor has high mileage and could probably use a rebuild. The thicker oil is masking your problems that are more apparent with thinner (normal) oil. You're still burning it or probably leaking. So in your case it is helping. Won't be a mileage/ power boost for everyone else.

I expected to see a Blackstone Lab test or sumthin' haha

On oil: I use the wet honey-colored kind. The design of these motors "restricts" us to certain oils. My motor went 164 thousand miles on normal stuff. Probably could have done 200 thousand. I'm not even there yet. I rebuilt the motor as a high school project. Learned a lot. Wouldn't mind rebuilding it again. It's fun. In hindsight my motor didn't even need a rebuild. I will approach an FJ40/60/62 much differently next go-round.

My 60 is fast all the time. Don't know what's wrong with all of y'alls :flipoff2:

I tried various synthetics. 10W30 = to thin, engine audible louder.

I would think going from 10W30 to a 15w50 would smooth things out and would give you a quieter engine. I don't believe the mpg or Hp figures but that's ok, it's not my truck.

Personally I run 15w40 Rotella on my 62 with 285k miles on the original engine.

No need in getting nasty about some of the remarks posted in reference to your original post. By posting on a public forum, you'll be subject to differences of opinion and points of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom