Temperature question.temp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my land cruiser out of storage today!!! I bought it out of San Diego last fall, it's been in storage until today. I literally have had 100 miles away time in it, so i have yet to understand it's normal modes of operation. I live in Vermont and we have mountains. My question is : I was seeing temps between 190-202 depending on what part of the mountain I was going up or down. It seemed like when I put the heat on I could cool it down quick.seemed to hover around 197-198 on scantool. At what temp do I need to worry about starting to cook stuff? And since we all like pictures here is a pic of my son and sharing a birthday as we do every year! Very happy to unleash the beast today!

IMG_2287.JPG

I run between 188 and 200. I believe things start to automatically shut down (AC) at around 220 to protect the engine.

210 I pay attention
220 I really start to think
226 Time to pull over

In a brief nutshell

I run 185-205 typically

Thermostat opens at 180º. The AC shut-off is at 227º, thats when things get serious. Between 184-188º seems to be average for well cooled motors. Anything in the 190s up to 209º is normally operating temp. Once you get into 210+ its still ok but its running unusually warm for the 1FZ. Now mix in ambient. You are in Vermont and I'm on SoCal where summers are brutal. I would be looking at why you are running a little warmer than most.

No doubt that investigation of your cooling system health is warranted and this stands true for everyone who is new with their 80. 200 degrees up a mountain at road speeds is not a bad omen.
There is enough reading on this subject filed away in Mud archives to keep you busy for days.

Last summer, after a complete cooling system over haul including modified fan clutch, I saw 219 degrees on my Koso digital water temp gauge running flat ground, AC on, 70mph, and 100 degree ambient temps.

Toyota chose 226 degrees as the point to schedule auto shut down of the AC for a calculated reason so I wouldn't be overly concerned until 226 unless you run this hot on your way to the super market.

Yes it is:) or :( depending on what happens with my temps. I seem to have warm blooded truck! I think the -25 degree temps here killed the San Diego battery. At least that's my hope. Alternator is working , but battery dies after one day on no use. I load tested it and appeared good, but I think being stored in unheated storage killed the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom