Tech Questions Here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 80 won't idle when it's(the engine) is cold. I have to give it gas until the coolant temp needle starts moving. At that point I can let off the gas and it will idle, still a little rough but it doesn't die. I don't have any issues with starting or idling as long as the engine is warm, meaning I can get the engine to temp, turn it off, go inside for an hour or so and come back out and it will start right up and idle.

The only codes I have on the scanner are the O2 heater for the 2nd O2 sensor and insufficient flow for the EGR valve(this one I can clear and it will go away for several days).

Thoughts?

@beyondlogic what is the actual code for the O2 sensor?

P0141: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0401: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

neither code has anything to do with idle esp cold.

p0141 is what it says it is the heater circuit is open or the heater is bad.

p0401 now that opens up a hole other can of worms . can really be any part of the EGR system. sensor. EGR tube, the EGR it`s self , where it inters the intake.

what temp are you seeing on the thermostat housing compared to what the ECM is showing?

first thing clean the throttle valve make sure no air leaks, cracks between MASS & throttle housing.

I haven't checked the thermostat house temp, outside of a laser thermometer how would I check that?

I will clean the valve and check the intake hose(it's new so should be ok but will double check it).

Does the 80 have a temp sensor and cold start injector setup like a 22re? Could be running lean in the cold.

the laser is fine up close as possible limit it`s cone of info. so how does it compare to what the scanner is reading?

the laser is fine up close as possible limit it`s cone of info. so how does it compare to what the scanner is reading?
I couldn't find one of those to borrow, so I'm going to have to wait till my dad comes up for Christmas.

But, I was able to resolve most of the issue. This weekend I cleaned the throttle body and that seemed to get rid of most of the bad idle. Now I can just start it without having to give it gas and I can also go ahead and drive it without waiting for it to warm up(before it would die if I put any load on the engine, at idle, before it was warm). I suspect I need to get a small brush and clean some more further into the throttle body, I only had a shop rag and the spray nozzle on the can of cleaner. I also, cleaned and inspected the intake hose which was in great shape(had been replaced with OEM part by previous owner).

Thanks for the help!!

I couldn't find one of those to borrow, so I'm going to have to wait till my dad comes up for Christmas.

But, I was able to resolve most of the issue. This weekend I cleaned the throttle body and that seemed to get rid of most of the bad idle. Now I can just start it without having to give it gas and I can also go ahead and drive it without waiting for it to warm up(before it would die if I put any load on the engine, at idle, before it was warm). I suspect I need to get a small brush and clean some more further into the throttle body, I only had a shop rag and the spray nozzle on the can of cleaner. I also, cleaned and inspected the intake hose which was in great shape(had been replaced with OEM part by previous owner).

Thanks for the help!!

If the intake sensors are caked with oil residue that could be causing you some issues. I didn't have that particular issue but I did have to take the throttlebody off and clean it well after I bought mine the way the PCV system is setup on the 80's it puts a lot of oil residue in there. A lot of folks put an inline filter or oil catch can to hold most of it out. I have both but that because the head seals are gone and it circulates more than normal but its work for me.

Does any one know the part number of the line I circled?

land cruiser ac.jpg

what year is yours ?

should be 88716-6A421

few questions now that I'm starting to put the cruise back together.

1. What is the torque spec on the oil pump screws?

2. What type of oil is required for the A/C and how much?

3. I need a wiring diagram(with wire colors) for the headlights at the lights, don't really need the switch wiring. My pigtails and wiring got messed up and want to make sure I get it all repaired properly.

Thanks Bang Bang! That did help a lot, but I must be missing something cause I don't see any wiring diagrams in the files I downloaded.

Thanks Bang Bang! That did help a lot, but I must be missing something cause I don't see any wiring diagrams in the files I downloaded.

Davin, PM your email address and I'll email you the EWD for our 80's. It's only 4 MBs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom