Tech Discussion: Using Blue Devil Products as a Temporary Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

elk

Threads
A topic of discussion for the Mud brain trust, what are your thoughts on using stop leak products on gasket and seal leaks?

I am in no way affiliated with any such company, but I have personally used Blue Devil products on a 336,000 mile Volvo 940 with a really bad oil pan gasket leak. I will be pulling the motor this summer to do the fix the right way, but presently the motor has gone almost 6,000 miles with seemingly no ill effects. Granted, the B230 is known to be a tractor motor in terms of reliability, but the product worked within 100 miles and sealed a stream of oil down to nothing.

I realize it only works on gasket type seals and not on fittings or cast parts, but would you ever put such a product into our beloved 2UZ's to seal a crankshaft, tail shaft, or rear main leak? I realize that both are rare, but sometimes budget, weather, or other constraints require a quick solution.

*Disclaimer* I always believe in doing it the right way, but what are your experiences with similar products?

Auto Care Products | Car Care Products | BlueDevil Products

I had a 91 5.0 Mustang running 15 pounds of boost that I picked up with a bad head gasket. For the heck of it I threw in the Blue Devil head gasket repair stuff. It fixed it and I drove the car like that for over a year before I sold it.

I also used their stop leak with every fluid on a few Rovers with awesome results.

Jim

Jim,

I was surprised that the stuff actually worked. I didn't expect it to, but sure enough, it sealed with an oil change and some of the usual Mobil 1. I wonder what the consensus is about long term use?

Will it work or be okay on using it on the rear diff? Rear passenger side axle still leaking after dealership replaced axle seal 3x and a retainer ring.

I have used it in transfer cases with good results. It's worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom